I don't profess to be a great cook, but last week I hit a new low.
I was trying to broil some bacon (which we don't eat often) to add to grilled cheese and set it, as well as the pan of oil below, on fire (thankfully, no one else was home or napping!).
Smoke alarms going off in our house is a semi-regular thing, because we have over-sensitive ones and not a very good above-the-stove fan at the moment. (I joke that I need a silencing button for the alarms that indicates "Nope, no fire department needed. Just mom cooking again.")
However, this time, I actually had to remove the pan, smother the flaming bacon with a pan, and then take the tray outside so that the smoke could stop billowing throughout our house (and then fan the whole house until the alarms stopped).
Oops.
I then cooked the remaining few strips of bacon left in the package in the microwave, which wasn't quite as satisfying but got the job done (as I mentioned, we're not big bacon-eaters here) and probably, for safety reasons, should be my go-to method in the future!

No comments:
Post a Comment