I know many people having been lamenting the loss of salon/barbershop care during this pandemic and feeling somewhat frustrated or ashamed of their "quarantine locks." Truthfully, going to get a haircut is about the absolute last thing I miss amidst this all! My haircut regimen is something like this: grow hair long for 5-7 years, then get bold and chop it off into a really short 'do (and donate it). This means that I don't really need a haircut until about 2025 (that being said, Kelvin did give me a little trim a couple of months ago because my ends were really split, when I did one of his haircuts. He did a pretty good job, even with some subtle layers. It doesn't really matter much because I usually wear my hair up in a bun or pony, never having had much style). I don't dye my hair either, although I've noticed quite a few more long silvery strands popping up.
Between when we got married (2011) and when we had kids (2014), I took care of doing Kelvin's home haircuts, because it was convenient amidst our work schedules and cheaper than him going somewhere every three weeks (which is his preferred schedule! His gray grows out quickly). After having kids, I encouraged him to outsource this activity (which I don't enjoy), so he first had a friend (Josh) cutting his hair in exchange for six-packs of beer, but then started going to an actual hair salon in Arcata and was a regular with an elderly lady, Vivian. K's last commercial haircut was probably back in February before our Patagonia trip, and the responsibility was back to mine during quarantine.
"At least it grows quickly," is the response I get after completing the first job (and the subsequent ones are of similar quality, I'd say).
We haven't ever given Niall a haircut, actually-- he was such a bald baby and even now at almost two-and-a-half doesn't have very much (and what he has is thin and fine) hair (apparently K's mom cut his hair when we were in South America but I didn't even notice). Recently, it was seeming a little long, so we put him in our "salon" (a stool in the garage) to trim his locks this past weekend. He did extremely well!
We went even further and did a mini-buzz with the clipper. Check out Niall with his army 'do and outfit.
The other kid also had pretty shaggy-looking hair, so he got a trim as well (against his will. He is very sensitive, and hates the electric razor "NOT THE BUZZER THING!!!").
(check out the grimacing facial expressions)
SO PAINFUL!
Kelvin puts hairgel in his hair in the mornings, and his mini-me wanted some, too!
Lookin' pretty good, I'd say-- even for home jobs!









No comments:
Post a Comment