Monday, May 8, 2017

Grandmas and Grads

We spent the last several days visiting my (Dad's side) Minnesota (and North Dakota) family.  My Grandma Georgine, despite a slew of health problems over the last two decades, is still kicking at 93. Unfortunately, her dementia has worsened to the point that she has required nursing home care in a "memory unit," and conversations are really hard, but it was still nice to visit her in her new place in Crookston. Kelvin and I have been in our share of nursing homes in our (medical) days, and despite the sad feelings I always have seeing people with vacant stares and seemingly little to "live for" at the older extreme of age, the Villa is, by far, the nicest nursing home I've ever seen. It was spotlessly clean (and odorless, which is quite remarkable), had bright, hardwood floors, lots of good lighting, activities for the residents, compassionate and helpful nursing staff, and even aviaries and aquariums. 

Because getting from a rural California area to a rural Minnesota area requires an extraordinary amount of travel time, both on the ground and in the air, with our work schedules, it's really hard for us to visit frequently, although my Dad comes out here a couple of times per year from Virginia (and my parents met us there this time). The last time I had seen Grandma (two years ago), Iver was a four-month-old infant, and she was still at her assisted living apartment down around the corner.  My great memories of summers on the Minnesota farmstead with my then-very active grandparents make me very nostalgic when I come back here to visit, and I am always saddened by the thought (every time) that this may be the last time I'll see my only remaining grandparent alive. However, we spent some good time together. Seeing Iver as an inquisitive toddler seemed to brighten up her day (and that of the other residents)! 


Four generations of Arnesses (the family name lives on in Iver's and now my middle name)



(re: the matching Warriors' shirts- it was not intentional and I got dressed before Kelvin on this day. They happened to beat Utah in Game 3 of their series later that day.)

Iver and his Great Grandma also bonded over their mutual love of donuts.








It was a glorious (sunny and 75-degree) day, and we wheeled Grandma out to the nearby park so Iver could play outside. Despite two blankets, she was cold (gee! Not sure where my Dad and I get this "always feeling cold" gene from!) and didn't last long outside.








Kissing Goodbye for now...




On Sunday, we drove to Fargo to celebrate the college graduation of Derek from Concordia (which is located across the border in Moorhead, MN.  We had brunch with Amy, Richard, and the gang, and then recongregated after the ceremony (during which Iver napped at the hotel) for an informal dinner.  I borrowed many pictures from Amy, and some are from our own iPhone camera-loving toddler.

Iver was fascinated with the mounted bear in Derek's room (in case you forgot, "bear" was Iver's very first audible word), and he kept coming back to it again and again, to "I take picture of bear."


"Scary bear"




Bear selfies with Derek's older sister, Jacky!




Proud Dad (Richard) and mom (Amy)


 

Derek and Grandmas Marilyn (to left in the photo) and Roxy.  Marilyn is still mourning the tragic accidental death of my great-uncle Duane three years ago, but is hanging in there.


Derek with his (Aunt and) Godmother and my Dad's first cousin, LeAnn


Mom, Amy, Marilyn, Heather, and me

with the grad of honor

 (and token toddler of honor)

We didn't allow Iver to be the official iPhone photographer of the day, but here he is perfecting his "Cheese!" command.


Grandma selfie

The whole "Arness" fam and spouses (LeAnn with husband Brad and son Tyler)


We stayed at the nearby Home2Suites in Fargo, which was fabulous! It was new, very eco-friendly, with dual-flushing toilets, refillable shower shampoo dispensers, and other "green" touches I found delightful. There was a great breakfast spread, and Iver enjoyed some morning hotel swimming (including time in the "hot pool" jacuzzi) while I even got in a treadmill jog. 






We visited a bit more with Amy, Jacky, and Roxy at the house, before heading back to Crookston to see my Grandma again.

Iver sure thinks Amy is "so cute," and she reciprocates.

(Great) Grandma got some tickles in!






In the evening, we retired to the "big city" of Grand Forks, ND, where we enjoyed a delicious dinner (er, supper) of noodles (at Noodles & Co., which I had first tried in Rochester while in Med School) by the Columbia Mall (a regular Friday destination when I was with Grandparents).


And here is our underwear-head goofball pre-bed.


It was a good midwest week and weekend with family, celebrating both the beginning and near end of "adult" life, for Derek and Georgine, respectively. Farewell for now.

No comments: