Monday, August 22, 2016

Rio Wrap Up


While I know that many people get into the Olympics, I know very few people who love watching sports as much as I do. Iver started sleeping better last month, and then I went and wasted my sleep on a fortnight of watching NBC Primetime Olympics until midnight (almost) every night! I'm sad that the 2016 Rio Games are over... but I'm glad that Tennis' U.S. Open and fall football are around the corner. And now maybe I can actually (finally) get some rest! :)

Occasionally, I fell asleep and forgot to DVR the coverage, which I intended to watch early the next morning (we are still a pre-6-a.m.-waking family)... but I caught most of the really big moments. There were definitely many heartwarming moments, and plenty of tears.

The Refugee Olympic Team, 2016


Gymnastics is just about my favorite sport to watch. I couldn't believe how strong the U.S. Women, "The Final Five" (last team of the dynasty of the Karolyis), were...



I've never seen anyone fly as high (or dominate the field) as did Simone Biles, and the veteran Aly Raisman, taking second to Simone in both the All-Around competition, and Floor Final, was fabulous and extremely poised.


It was really amazing to see so many of the "greatest of all time" athletes compete this year, for perhaps the last time. 

How will anyone ever top Michael Phelps' Medal Count?  28 medals (of which 23 are gold) is a higher count than many countries have won in their history! 



Allyson Felix is one of the most decorated female athletes, with 6 (track-and-field) golds! 


At 19, Katie Ledecky is a dominant, rising swimmer who is undefeated in big races

Usain Bolt, with 9 gold meals (winning "the triple-triple"), is surely one of the best sprinters of all time.





I loved watching Simone Manuel, an unlikely Gold Medalist in her first Olympics, win the 100-meter freestyle, and be the first African-American Woman to win an individual swimming event.


The U.S. Women trio of Brianna Rollins, Nia Ali, and Kristi Castlin, swept the 100-meter hurdles, the first country sweep in the history of the Olympics!



Brazil took home the soccer gold in a dramatic shoot-out with Germany, which must have been pretty special for their country (I still despise soccer, however, and only watched this highlight). 


Onto Tokyo (2020, and to travel for real in October!). 


No comments: