Sunday, February 21, 2016

14-month update



At 14 months, Iver:
- probably weighs 18.5-19 lbs (although I always seem to overestimate; we haven't weighed him since 12 months). He's probably still in the 10% or thereabouts, mostly in 12-month clothing, but still fits some 6- and 9-month outfits!
- is still breastfed and will drink small amounts of whole cow's milk or breastmilk from a cup (except at daycare where he goes on strike).  He doesn't seem to be anywhere near weaning himself.   I have dropped my work pumping sessions, unless I'm stuck at the hospital for many hours and can't get home, or I have a lunch meeting and can't visit him at daycare midday. He still hates being strapped in the high-chair, but now will eat meals or snacks sitting on our lap/counter or standing at a small child's table. Just in the last two weeks, he's actually taken to solid foods (hooray) and now seems to have an appetite, which has made me feel sooo much better about the foot battles (I really worried he may starve his 6% self to death)!  He likes to finger-feed himself, and try to feed himself cereal with a spoon (he's actually quite good, surprisingly!).  He likes to feed us, too. He still loves fruit of all kinds, and crunchy snacks like veggie straws and puffs. His favorite veggies include broccoli and green beans (shocking, as I think I boycotted green beans until college!). He has eight (four upper, four lower) teeth. 
- is adjusting better to daycare, where he's been enrolled for about six weeks. He cries briefly when I drop him off (or when I depart after visiting midday), but on Friday, he did not cry at all when Kelvin brought him, and was swooped up by one of the "teachers."  He seems to do well there, interacting well, learning signs, and eating well (but not drinking milk), but is always happy when we come to pick him up! 
- is sleeping better. In the last month, we've had a handful of nights of up to an 8-hour stretch (8 p.m.- 4 a.m. or thereabouts), which is amazing! It's not the norm, but it would be great to get there sometime soon. He still usually wakes around 2 or 3 am, and, after one nursing session, will make it a couple of more hours until about 5:30 when he's up for the day. There are sometimes wakings before 2 am, but he's able to soothe (cry) himself back to sleep, and we generally don't intervene (although we wake up when we hear him).  I'm still thinking of making a valiant attempt at night weaning in the next few months and am hoping that may encourage even a longer stretch of sleep at night, but have been dragging my feet a bit for a few reasons: a) an upcoming trip which I know will cause a sleep regression, b) constant paranoia about breast milk supply (as he still wants to nurse in the daytime). This great Washington Post article totally sums it up. He still naps for about an hour in the morning (around 10 at home, 9 at daycare) and usually mid-afternoon (330 or 4 at home, around 2 at daycare) but often fights/refuses the afternoon nap in my presence.  I find that I've been happier when I haven't had "expectations" about what he should be doing/how (long) he should be sleeping.
- is communicating more and more every day. He makes many signs, including "dog" (see video), which was probably his first word (sign), "milk," "more," "eat."  He does vocalize "mama,"  "dada," "yeah," and "tutti" ("suck" in Vietnamese, his word for breastfeeding), but not too many other verbal words. He can point out "ball," "cat," "monkey," and other objects in books, and will point to his body parts when asked where is his "head," "ear," "nose," "belly button." I am having fun learning sign language and teaching him more! 
-  still wears cloth diapers (and size 3 Huggies overnights), and will poop on the potty every morning, and pee when the diaper comes off (sometimes in the potty, for Kelvin, or on the floor or tub for me)
-  is incredibly adventurous. He tries to escape from me on walks and loves to be chased around the house (especially when diaperless). He rarely cries after bonking his head. He likes to stand/jump near the edge of our couch and on high surfaces. He will back himself down stairs and off furniture easily. He likes to climb up, behind, and under things.
- is very intense and passionate. He hates being strapped into things, and will fight diaper changes and putting on shoes/socks with lots of screaming tantrums (not sure how to discourage this-- ignoring him? Firm "No"s or "Stop"s? Nothing has seemed to work so far).

He has a great personality, and is changing and becoming more of a person in front of our eyes!

Here he is, walking Pepper towards a busy street...


Signing "dog" at the park!






















No comments: