Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Broken Glass


On this lovely past weekend, when K and I were walking Pep at the Arcata Marsh, one of her favorite jaunts, we came back to this:


 

The ever-parked guy in the blue van by the marsh told us, when we were headed back to round the last corner, that he had heard a (presumably our) car alarm go off and saw someone in a blue "hot rod" pick up a friend from by our vehicle (but he hadn't a cell phone to call the police or anyone). When we got to my vehicle, we were speechless and angry that some idiot in our little town would do this to my car.  Who knows if the blue van guy had anything to do with it (but I doubt it).

Even more puzzling, initially, was that nothing seemed to have been taken; however, when we looked more closely, it appears that someone took Pepper's "gear bag" from the backseat floor-- which was filled with extra poop bags, baby wipes, her famous sling, travel water bottle, and some doggie treats. Score, obviously (I am imagining what those jerks felt when they opened the bag of doggie stuff). I recall that, in Sacramento, the same window was busted one evening while the car was parked outside my apartment, again with no obvious losses, which allowed me think, at that time, that it was random vandalism [or, naively, extreme weather changes] that was responsible. However, my bike seat and my license plate were also stolen maliciously on other occasions in Sacramento!

I was on primary OB and ER call this weekend, which was quite busy, and it was a bit of a drag (for him, although he didn't complain a bit) for K to drive me back and forth to the hospital every time I had to go in... as he needed a car for errands and church, and we didn't want to leave my one-windowless car parked anywhere for lengths of time if we could avoid it (thank goodness the forecast has been sunny recently!). Absolutely NO auto glass places were open on the weekend (odd, right? in a town of 17,000. We were totally willing to go to Eureka, but even that "big city" had no open auto glass shops!). 

Exhausted from being up for about two nights and two days, at 8am on Monday I called to try to get my car into a shop in Mckinleyville, hoping I could drop it off while at clinic and pick it up later in the day, but alas, the glass needed to be ordered and my appointment isn't until the end of the day today.

SIGH.  It's just frustrating to have to spend this extra money and time (the latter which bothers me more than anything) dealing with this act of idiots. Since this repair cost will be under our deductible for the year (our expensive rock incident repair [see here and here] is long in the past), I sort of feel that I should now get some glass-only car insurance!  Is there such a thing?

1 comment:

Laura D said...

ugh! how frustrating! I'm sorry you have to deal with that.