Thursday, March 7, 2013

Banana poll!

K and I don't disagree on too many things. However, "the way to peel a banana" is one of those things on which we do not see eye-to-eye.

Having a blog entitled "thatbananaisstillgood" makes me, in my opinion, the obvious "banana expert" in the family; however, my hubby disagrees.

So, which is the *correct* way to peel a banana?  I'm interested in polling the audience, so please comment with your thoughts!!  So as to not bias anyone, I will omit the critical information about who (in our family) chooses which "method."

                                                        METHOD #1 (peel from the "stem")

METHOD #2 (peel from the "blossom end")


In doing some reputable research (wikihow), I found that method #2 is how monkeys generally peel their bananas. It may require less force and can perhaps mash a banana less (and lead to fewer "banana strings") than method #1. I also refreshed my memory that bananas grow like this...


... not that that should influence anyone.
   
I'm aware that there are many ways to skin a cat, and thus other ways to peel a banana, but the above two methods are the most common. So which is *right*? Please make a case for *your* way!

4 comments:

Highburst said...

I practice the method #1 technique with the added step of digging my nail into the skin of the banana since this usually helps the peeling step. However, I must admit that I've seen several random articles or blogs with the "correct" way to peel a banana from the tip (blunt end).

Eva @ Eva Bakes said...

Although I use method #1, I've always wanted to method #2. I've also heard that monkeys use the second way so there aren't as many stringy things.

TAV said...

Method 1 all the way!! -tara

Anonymous said...

So we recently bought a bundle of bananas and I've been peeling them using method 2. I have to say, my world has completely changed. I have officially converted. My nails are no longer icky! Thank you for raising awareness to this issue of banana peeling.