Friday, February 24, 2012

Arcata Scoop

I had perhaps the best ice cream of my life last week. Our friend Alyssa had told us about the local Arcata Scoop, which makes organic ice-cream, and we finally tried it! I can practically subsist on ice cream/frozen desserts, including gelato (on my trip to Italy with Laura in 2003, we must have had gelato 3 times per day) and was super excited to get to try this local stuff. It doesn't matter that it's (still) winter here!

Here is a blurb from California's Redwood Coast website which explains this awesome shoppe!

"Located near the Arcata plaza, Arcata Scoop is the perfect place to have home-made organic ice cream with friends and family, especially after a walking tour in the town in a sunny day. This popular spot provides various traditional and innovative flavors for both non-vegans and vegans, including non-dairy Strawberry, Lemon Poppyseed, and Vanilla Honey Lavender. The magnificent marriages of freshly made waffle cones and delicious healthy ice creams attract many customers, especially parents with their little kids. In addition to ice cream, children will also enjoy themselves at the custom-built little play corner where they can pretend to serve ice cream and ring up on the register. This locally operated ice cream store also reflects how eco-friendly businesses benefit residents in our environmentally-friendly community, emphasizing sustainability in every detail of their business, including spoons made from potato starch."

I tried a scoop split amidst Vanilla-Peanut Butter, and Earl Grey (delicious!) while Kelvin tried their Cookies n' Cream and Coffee, served in a "waffle bowl," a unique take on the traditional waffle cone. The company has a facebook page where they update their daily flavors... check it out!

I also rode on the mini-carousel horse intended for small children.



As there are tons more flavors we have to try (Strawberry, Jalapeno, Creamsicle, and the Vanilla Honey Lavender) we will definitely be back soon!

1 comment:

Rachel and Hans said...

I must try this. I am currently ice cream deprived. I can almost taste it

Hans