Hooray for days off (gives me something to blog about, as I'm sure no one really wants to hear about how much I hate the ER, where seeing people with either threatened miscarriages, ectopic pregnancies, or vaginal bleeding is pretty much what is dominating my nights on OB [at night, we carry the gyn consult pager]).
Although I had post-call FP clinic on Friday, I was able to catch some sleep and headed to San Francisco that evening, where my Mom has been working doing some foreign service recruiting. I forgot how great the city is! Although I only had about 24 hours there as I had to work Sunday a.m 24 into week2 of nights, It was a refreshing break away from work and Sac and I felt like a "real" person for the first time in a long while! It is really very close (like an hour and half's drive) and I'm ashamed I don't get there more.
Friday night, we had wonderful Indonesian food at a restaurant near Mom's hotel. After a long luxurious night's sleep in the fluffy hotel bed (my mom couldn't understand how I could be so tired!!), Saturday we did a lot of walking around the city.
We climbed Nob Hill to the Grace Cathedral, a very grand Episcopalian church built after the SF fire in 1906.
We (, blessed with good weather!) continued walking around the city, including Chinatown where there was a Taiwanese parade going on.
North Beach (or "Little Italy") has this restaurant, the Stinking Rose, that Amy has told me about and which I have to try sometime. We randomly passed it and so I felt obligated to take a (crooked) picture!
We hiked to the top of Telegraph Hill where the Coit Tower overlooks the city and bay.
We then had a lovely seafood lunch on Fisherman's Wharf and headed on the boat out to Alcatraz, also a new adventure for me although Mom has been there before.
We took the audiotour about all the hardships and escapes that happened before the prison shut down. Interesting!
The day concluded with a very touristy cable-car ride, a quick nap, and more wonderful Asian (Thai) food before I had to head back to Sac.
View of the street from the cable car.
Fun times! Days off, SF, and Mom are a few of my favorite things!
The best news is that my Dad is flying into SF today and Mom and Dad plan to come out to Sacramento this coming weekend to visit some more! I again have Saturday off, which will be great! We'll have to find some fun things to do.
Okay, it's back into work soon for tonight.... Pray that the ER does not call me!
4 comments:
I love how a couple of your Alcatraz pix are just like ones we have from when we visited you in March... except, insert Tony in front of the prison bars!
Glad to see you out and about. :)
You're down there! We're up here... you walked into the wrong goddamn room!
Hey Tara! First, I commented back to you on my post. Secondly, I am coming to San Francisco the first week of March...that's like 1 1/2 hours away from you right? I wish I could see you, but I'm not sure what my/your schedule will be like. I'll check back with you closer to time on that. Cali looks soooo fun though!!
adam and i took the alcatraz tour as well! I miss you so much! I am moving back down to So Cal in November! I got a job offer at the VA in West LA. I'm sad that I will be so far away..who will i go to church with? Anyway, I hope that you're doing well. Let me know when you can go to church again and/or hang out! love ya!
Post a Comment