Thursday, September 11, 2008

Precious last weekend.... and nearly NOT an intern anymore!!!

I had a wonderful last weekend, before my 20-day-stretch of days of work/rounding started Monday (I'm 4 days in! 16 more to go!).

Saturday, we had a family medicine bbq/games afternoon at the house (and nearby park) of Kristin, one of the (true) interns. I wish I'd taken more pictures (Brenden was the big photographer), but our afternoon on the 100+ degree day (this is September, people!!!! Ah, how I am much more at home in CA...) included some good old intern-vs-resident softball (even though I suck big-time at softball, we managed to beat the 'terns in the 3-inning game) and basketball (the court must have been 120 degrees!). There was also great grilled food, guitar-hero playing, and fellowship enjoyed by all. Here are some pics (all candid! Hope they're not too boring!).



Love this picture of Brenden, caught when he didn't know I was snapping!
Alvin jams away on the guitar at Rock Band, while Kristin takes the drums...The others watch and wish they were as good... The great outdoors (don't you love that sky color??? It's what Sacramento is all about!)
Jeremy, Brian, and Phi (who got slightly burned... guess which girl scored in his face a few times in a row? ;))


Playing HORSE... er.. or OX, for the sake of time...
(Alvin, Brenden, Kristin's head)
I wanted to take this little yorkie, Clover, home with me!! (But Shomir wouldn't have anything of it!)
Aww..... how could you not want this little cutie in your home??!?!


On Sunday (even though Shom was post-24 hour call), he was a trooper and we headed to church. He has a darn good excuse for being sleepy, but I couldn't help but posting this one very good blackmail-worthy pic taken by Darina during the sermon... (... and there are more incriminating ones saved on my computer!)

We then had a yummy lunch of Dim Sum at the best place in Sac, New Canton, which is just a few blocks from my house.
Me and Darina waiting for the table... (this is a popular place!)
The group (from left: Alvin, Darina, Adam, me, and Shomir)


We rested a bit in the afternoon and then went tandem kayaking at the Lake Natomas Aquatic Center! It was a great time-- fun to be on the water and (phew) we didn't flip! Thanks to Darina for all of these pics!


Adam and Darina

Shom and me...
.... doing what we like to do best...

Doesn't that look relaxing?? It was a glorious weekend which unfortunately had to come to an end with the return of Monday, the first of my 20-day stretch (can you tell that I'm a wee bit nervous and peeved about this?) of labor.

But, on the bright side, as I write this, I am only 3 days away from being done with peds wards which is, I might add, quite a good rotation, but, more importantly, my LAST rotation of intern year (well, inpatient that is. I still haven't done Sports Med 1, which is a chill couple of outpatient weeks I'll knock out of the way in Feb. But I don't think that counts and will thus ignore it and declare myself done :))!!! I have tomorrow, then Saturday-Sunday 30 hour call to work (you won't catch me being able to even make it to church). Then I get to sleep a bit before going back onto OB as a TRUE R2 from now on!!!! I'm tempted to throw myself a little graduation party! That is, if I have a free hour to do so. Don't expect much blogging for the next few weeks, that's all I have to say! :)

2 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

I remember, when we first moved here, that we tried a baptist church. Afterwards, I asked JB what he thought, and he said we would have to go back and try again because he was too tired to have given it a fair shot. He really did sleep through nearly 100% of it! I can't blame Shomir one bit!

MISS YOU! We have to chat soon.

Anonymous said...

Cali is really agreeing with you...you look beautiful and happy!