While I have really enjoyed this month on Newborn and now feel much more comfortable dealing with the little ones, it has been pretty hectic. Tuesday was a busy day on the OB side when I think they had something like 10 C-sections over a 24 hour period... which meant that all of those moms and babies had to be dealt with and rounded on daily for (generally) a good three days... Of course, there were also normal vaginal deliveries on top of that so that our newborn census by Friday was something like 23 babies... We tried to discharge about 12 of them, but some had issues with feeding/jaundice/fever/OB complications and, sadly, despite running around like crazy people all day, trying to coordinate discharges and arrange follow ups, we had new admits all day and our census was about the same! I was doing some diabetes log updating this afternoon and saw the list of 24 currently. Although Bob, who has been my co-intern this month, tends to have the "black cloud," I only wonder how many people I will have to see when I walk in tomorrow a.m. But at least it is the last day! I rememer that August was such a busy month last year too, when I was an intern trying to figure out how to juggle all the tasks on Labor and Delivery! I have to wonder what everyone is doing in November to make August such a busy month for birthdays ;) !!!
So, with respect to birthdays:
Happy Birthday, Nicole! (today is her big day and it was great to talk to her although she is separated from her hubby who is on call in Boston).
Also Happy Birthday to Kate, who's *real* bday is today, although a bunch of us residents celebrated with her and Lefty at a bbq last night (sorry, no pics).
Happy Belated birthday to Lesley (the 13th).
Phi's "Baskin Robbins" birthday was last Saturday the 9th, when we got together for Thai takeout, cake, and Olympics-watching at Shomir's place (note that the Christmas tree from the Christmas-in-July party is still up!)
This expression cracks me up :)
Happy Birthday to Molly (Monday the 18th) who seems to be liking Surgery in Salt Lake City despite being yelled at by mean surgeons from time-to-time.
Happy 17th birthday to Natasha later this month although I can't remember what date.
- It was so great to see Hans and Rachel last weekend! They stopped by here on their way back to the Sac airport from their stellar honeymoon in Tahoe, and Shomir and I were very lucky to get treated to breakfast. Unfortunately, the picture I'm trying to hijack from Rachel's blog isn't uploading correctly, so you'll have to visit her blog for a pic (and beautiful shots from Tahoe).
- I am totally obsessed with the Olympics. I have stayed up until 12 or 1 most nights this week to watch the finals (why do they have to taunt us w/ the swimming so late?!) and then, every morning going in, wonder "What was I thinking?!" And this is all on Shomir's giant TV. I cannot believe Michael Phelps.
- My sister Vanessa started a blog! She moved to Denmark this past week for 6 months to work at OSCE, an international policy organization, and will surely provide amusing updates from Copenhagen.
- After I finish newborn tomorrow, I go to OUTPATIENT peds! I'm so excited! I also will only have 2 more "real" weeks of intern rotations to complete (peds wards later in Sept) before officially being a second year :)
2 comments:
Phi's birthday looked like fun. I'm sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate and the ice cream looks delicious! :-) Hopefully I'll see you soon. LEt me know how the Belize planning goes!
oh wiiiise blogging-san, how do you post youtube videos on your blog? inform this young blogging novice, please.
Post a Comment