Thursday, March 13, 2008

Lenten smiles

In honor of Lent, some anecdotes to make you smile:

from The Lutheran magazine:

"When I arrived at Grace Lutheran Church, Stratford, CT, three years ago, the first baby I baptized was Jimmy. Since then, he has been diagnosed with retinal blastoma in both eyes, requiring many days of chemotherapy, surgery to remove one eye, etc., but he appears to be doing well. Recently, he came to the table with his Oma (grandma). He put his hand out and I placed bread in it. He turned to oma and asked, 'Where's the butter?' Jimmy is not only the first baby I baptized but the first to ask for butter with his communion bread." - Joan Sorenson

"We all came home with crosses on our foreheads after Ash Wednesday worship (2007). Our 5-year-old, Grace, rubbed her cross off as soon as she could and thought the rest of us should, too. As she headed to bed, she said to my husband, 'Daddy, get off your ash and come read to me!'"- Aimee Appell

"As the mother of a preschooler, I always wonder if my child pays attention in class. I know my 4-year-old was paying attention in Sunday school when I overheard him tell his little brother that he was going to nail him to the cross." - Dina Kuhn

Only 10 more days 'till Easter (I am owed several Big Spoon yogurts that I can't wait to cash in on after the Lenten dessert fast is over!).

No comments: