We woke up early (well, early for some of us!) on Saturday morning to drive into the parks. As we got up higher in elevation, we all started getting a bit nervous b/c TJ's car's thermometer started displaying horrifying temperatures such as 29.... (below freezing?!?! This is California!). Luckily, most of us had some sort of warm-ish gear along, such as hats, gloves, fleece pants, whatnot, so we bundled up and headed out. We checked out General Grant, which was declared a nation shrine by Eisenhower and also known as "Our Nation's Christmas Tree" (appropriate for the season, eh??).
TJ, Erin, and Sylvia by General Grant
We hiked up a trail called "Big Baldy" which had some neat pine trees. We also got flurried on (I won't say "snowed" b/c you could hardly call this stuff snow)-- with these tiny, tiny flakes falling from the sky. It was kind of magical!
Cute Augustines... ("You should make this a Christmas card!" I said. "I don't do Christmas cards," replied Erin!)
Another cute one (where Erin said she looked "hotter" without the hoodie)!!

Erin trying to "catch" the snowflakes!!
Then, we headed down and did another brief hike up to Moro Rock, which overlooks some of the canyon. It was definitely chilly up there!!!
I love this one of the three looking up!
I'm not sure what Sylvia is doing... waving? :)
I love this one of Erin, Syvia, and me (although we were probably breaking rules by getting off the path...)We also stopped by Giants' Grove and saw the General Sherman (tree), or the most massive tree on earth! It is like 2200 years old and weighs over 1300 tons (yes, tons!!!). Wouldn't want that falling on you :) We also had a nice forest sunset.
We retired to our hotel for the night, Wuksachi Lodge (complete with cozy fireplace... I love it!), where we had a wonderful elegant dinner (see the Chocolate Decadence below :)) and tried not to freeze our butts off or get eaten by bears (we had to be very careful about making sure everything was out of our car!!).
Sunday, we did some more exporing through the park(s), hiking Buena Vista trail which, true to its name, did have some vistas muy buenas :)

(We were risk-takers!)
(after Erin nearly slipped to her death on the ice)
I loved these crystals we saw!! Okay, I know I sound a bit too enthusiastic. I just LOVE exploring. Erin/TJ are perfect people to go with (they want to hit all the national parks in the U.S., which I think is an awesome goal! We all want to go to Alaska sometime soon!). It was such an amazingly fun time, surrounded by beautiful scenery!
I also am just so happy right now in life! When we were in Africa this spring, Kelsey used to say things like "Gosh. I'm just so happy- my heart feels like it will burst from joy!" This used to crack me up and I used to think to myself, "Man, that's goofy. Even if I felt that, I wouldn't say it." But, somehow, I have gotten to feel just about that joyful!
Maybe it's because I'm on an easy rotation and am rested. Maybe because I've gotten to catch up with great friends (and soon to visit with another one... Molly, my FIRST VISITOR [no competition, JB and Wen-- I won't be having a link on the side because it would be measly and pathetic :)], arrives Wednesday!!) and family and have had fun with new friends here! Maybe it's because I am living somewhere awesome and because, most of the time, I'm warm.
Or maybe it's because Christmas music is playing nonstop on the radio. I'm not looked at as looney when I burst into Christmas carols at this time of year :). I love it! And also all the holiday movies on... It's a Wonderful Life, The Family Man, etc.... 'Tis the season to be merry, right? :)
And awesome news I found out this weekend (when Nicole was telling me I sounded pathologically happy on the message I left her....)-- Nicole and Bay are engaged! Okay, I hope I didn't ruin anything by posting that, but I just had to share. My heart (and mouth) are bursting :)
Happy Holidays, everyone!!!!!


7 comments:
I am so glad to hear you so joyful! It sounds wonderful! I love the pictures. I have always wanted to see the giant trees.
ok - that looks SOO fun!! i really want to come and visit!! seriously - hiking, sightseeing...right up my alley. hmm...hans asked what i wanted for christmas - maybe a trip for us to visit you!
I can just picture Erin saying that about the hotels! i would feel the same if I entrusted Tara to pick our hotel. It'd be some sort of scene from Pscyho I would fear! Indoor corridors! Yes Erin! You rock.
You ... not competing?!?!? I don't believe it!
he he... yes, big trees and cheap lodging are my thing :)
rachel, did hans tell you he invited me on your honeymoon? :)
i have the last week of june off... :) j/k...
tara, do you have nicole's current email? i have been trying to track her down to no avail. Hugs, Katie.
Aren't those trees majestic?! Looks like you guys had a ton of fun. I hope to be on the west coast in January for a few days. We'll have to go to the beach and freeze our butts off or something...
Post a Comment