Sunday, October 14, 2007

aMAZEing last weekend of freedom

So I had a fun last weekend flanking BLOCK TIME, before I have to go back to the *real* life that is internship. Much of it was spent trying to actively avoid thinking of having to go back to my upcoming 96-hour labor and delivery week (Aline commisserated with me saying, "Yeah. I always got really depressed after vacation/block time and having to face going back to work." This is exactly what I have been feeling underneath everything this weekend. Just this dread of imminent anxiety.) Don't get me wrong, I love OB and happened to pick this residency for that reason, but the hours and stress are terrible. But let's forget about that for a brief moment while I recap the weekend.
  • Friday night, saw The Heartbreak Kid with Amy. Definitely some uncomfortable parts as often come along with Ben Stiller movies, but overall, it was very funny and light-hearted.
  • Saturday: went to the Del Paso Heights (my FP community) farmers' market and Health and Fitness Fair with Anika. I found some interesting fruits and veggies, including persimmons, which I (somehow, making me ashamed of my nickname "Mrs. Fruit") have never tried (apparently the ones I picked were not ripe, and I have to wait until they get "waterballoon-consistency" soft before eating them). I also did laundry and other misc. errands that needed to be accomplished before I have no hours of daylight/business hour-time to do them (i.e. registering for step3 of the USMLE, the cost of which I won't go into here because it makes me very unhappy.)
  • Alex (OB co-intern) and I headed to Dixon, CA in the evening hours to visit the WORLD'S LARGEST CORN MAZE, (40 acres of fun corn tunnels). I was really in the mood to do something fall fest-like, involving pumpkins and the like, so I'm glad she was game. A friend of hers suggested we go at night because it was supposed to be "scarier." This one wasn't haunted (there is also one nearby in Woodland that is, i.e. with people jumping out at you and saying "boo" and things), but it was still kind of creepy. We wandered around with a flashlight and a map; there were periodic flags to mark where you were. Here are some pics I stole from the website to show you the expanse of it.

No, you don't have to be in MN to have corn! This is 15 min. outside Sac:

The middle bridge that we found our way to (with only one cheating short-cut through the stalks)

Pic I took of the pumpkin patch... With Alex and a scary Scarecrow. Sorry for the poor pic quality, as it was dark What our shoes looked like after traipsing through dark corn paths for over an hour after a big rainy day on Friday

  • Today, after I lay in bed for a good long while savoring my last morning of getting up after 4 a.m. for the next 2 weeks, I joined the other FP/OBs (our team name was "Baby Catchers"!) for the Heartbeat Run, a fundraiser that the UCD med school puts on to benefit their various student-run community clinics. 5Ks are much easier than half-marathons, that's for sure :). Kyla took pics and should be sending them, so when I get 'em, I'll post 'em.
  • Went out for breakfast (I LOVE breakfast) to La Trattoria Bohemia, a Czech restaurant in East Sac, with Sarah, Kyla, and Kyla's parents, who are in town from MN.
  • Watched My Cousin Vinny on Erin's recommendation, which I had never seen before (good flick!) and did some reading at Butch 'N Nellies, a nearby indie coffee shop (there are a TON here!)
  • Went to a evening (more hip) service at St. John's Lutheran Church which I attended once back in June, as I missed the Arcade Service this a.m.

Well. That was that. In some ways, I don't want to go to bed because it means that the party is OVER and the slaving away begins. On the other hand, I should probably hit the hay soon so I'm not dead and dropping babies my first day back :) Sigh. When will residency ever end??

6 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

sounds like you have had a lot of fun! good luck with the start of a new rotation. hans just started a toughie, too and i find myself dreading it already and i'm not the one that has to work the long hours.

Anonymous said...

I am working at a Lutheran Church now. I really like the people there.

Tara, remember how much you love catching those babies and you willmake it through. Those babies and their moms are going to be fortunate to have you taking care of them.

TAV said...

how is hans having time to blog during his work hours?? :)
ebby- thanks for the encouragement!

Rachel and Hans said...

that's just it. he NEVER blogs!!

Rachel and Hans said...

ha ha. jokes on me. i guess he DID blog and just didn't tell me. :-)

yuan family said...

That maze looks like a lot of fun! I actually think there are bigger corn mazes outside of MN...we had a big one in Oregon too!