Friday, April 27, 2007

The jumpers were...

(Okay, so I wanted to create a really cool post with pictures of the bungy-ers, but this computer is super slow and the bartender at this lodge in the Drakensbergs wouldn't let me load any discs or flash drives... So you'll have to settle for written results. The first jumper was one who had decided he would jump all along. The other two decided to after doing the zipwire. They were a girl who has previously skydived and who is quite adventurous. The other jumper was one whose wife, upon him returning back alive, said, "That [watching her husband jump off a 216-meter platform] was the hardest thing I have ever done!" I hope you have it figured out. Hint: I did not jump but did zip.

We are staying our second night right outside the Royal Natal National Park in the Drakensberg region of South Africa. Yesterday, after an overnight in the Valley of the 1000 Hills, we got to watch a Zulu dancing show and learn more about what was a very dominant nation. We also stopped by the place where Mandela got arrested while driving back in 1962. Today, we got to add another country to our list by visiting the mountain kingdom of Lesotho (called the "Switzerland of Africa") on a bus tour. We visited a local school, hiked a bit and saw rock paintings, visited a "sangoma" or traditional healer, sampled some local wine and cuisine, and saw some breathtaking scenery. Besides having some car issues, fearing we would be overnighting in some country huts in the mountains, we did fine and did make it out in one piece!

Tomorrow, we head to another country, Swaziland, to stay in the Hlane Game Park, and maybe visit Mozambique. Then it is onto our safari and Kruger National Park. We will be returning stateside on May 5th. Thank you so much for thinking of us! I hope I can post some pictures soon-- but it may have to wait till we get home. See you soon! )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tarawara,
It sounds like you guys are having the time of your life!! How I wish I was there! I was sooooooo touched by your photo that left a space for me. Bay saw it too and I almost started crying. I can't believe you guys will be back next weekend! It feels like you've been away FOREVER! I really miss you guys and I can't wait to see you. Thanks for giving us a colorful glimpse into your days. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Such an exciting life you lead! The posts are great. I can't wait to talk to you once you are returned and settled :) -cathleen