We had lovely sunny weather this weekend and went for a neighborhood stroll on Sunday which was rife with critters!
Iver (who was riding around with Niall in a wagon) spotted a "green thing" crawling along the road, and asked to get a closer look... it was a praying mantis, which he'd never seen before!
On the same walk, we saw three additional snakes. I've seen the occasional salamander or critter on walks, but never had I seen so many reptiles on one walk.
One was splayed across the sidewalk on the hill up from our house, with its guts out, from unknown causes (? a hawk or other). It appeared to be dying, but was still moving a tiny bit.
Niall was fascinating and still talks about the "snake with its guts out."
We saw another tiny one slither across our path into a wall crack.
And then, right in front of our own house on our return, we saw this striped one making its way across our lane.
Kelvin's parents were really freaked out at seeing pictures of the kids so near these snakes. To be honest, I am not very keen on reptiles, and don't know much about snakes except to avoid the ones with triangle heads (we were scared by a rattler a few years ago hiking in Willow Creek). I'm pretty sure that these were all harmless garter or other snakes, but I am sure glad they were outside! I can't believe we came across so many all on one walk!






No comments:
Post a Comment