Friday, November 4, 2011

Did you know...?

... that you can get books on Kindle from the library?!
I really like my Kindle, which Kelvin got me last Christmas. My very tech-savvy Dad was able to load a ton of free books (some classics, some mysteries, some contemporary literature) onto it last Christmas, which I will probably never make it through. The Kindle is really great for travel-- I am never unhappy or bored if I know I won't run out of reading material. However, I am a big library patron and I love reading (newer) books and books for free. Before we moved, I had requested (don't laugh, Vanessa or others) the latest Nicholas Sparks' book (Safe Haven) in an e-format from the Sacramento library, and I just got an e-mail that it became available this week! I had never downloaded any book, much less a library electronic-book, onto the device, but it was successful! I am not sure how it all really works-- I was supposed to download it within a 72-hour window from the SacLibrary site, and then supposedly have access to "read it" for up to 21 days (I am not sure what happens then, though... it may just disappear from the Kindle). How cool is this??? I am pretty certain that Humboldt libraries don't offer this same technology, but it is my hope that they could be headed there... But I wouldn't really recommend this book as one of Sparks' best (Stick with The Notebook).

.... that you can grind coffee at the supermarket?
I do not have a coffee grinder. I am not a coffee addict nor connoisseur (you can tell I am not a coffee snob because I recently purchased coffee bags... [tea bags, but coffee-flavored], because they were 50% off at Safeway and faster than brewing coffee for one [Kelvin is not a coffee drinker]). I gladly accept ground coffee as a gift and do use my coffee maker once per week, but I have never been able to grind the coffee that I'd previously received. I noticed, the few times we'd been to Costco, that they have a complimentary grinder; however, I have never once actually remembered to bring the coffee to grind. And Costco is all the way in Eureka (a looong 20 min drive [we are so spoiled]).

Nevertheless, this week I noticed that Safeway has a coffee grinder! DUH! I'm blindly in love with Costco and so I guess I didn't even think that there would be other locations that may offer the same coffee-service, but there you have it. Despite this observation, I still forgot to bring my coffee to grind the last time I shopped at Safeway, but I will re-attempt the grinding mission this week... Maybe I should just leave the coffee (now, probably 2 years old!) in my car as a reminder...

.... that Bowling scoring is not rocket science?


Kelvin started a clinic bowling league; the different clinic sites have put together teams to compete every Thursday for the next 10 weeks. I am not a big bowler. I am not a good bowler. Nevertheless, being married to Kelvin (did you know he has his own shoes?!) made it pretty clear that I was going to be an active participant. I was secretly hoping that I'd get called to do a delivery yesterday so I could miss bowling (despite being up the whole previous night with a laboring pt), but I didn't get so lucky. Some of the other players really looked like they'd played lots of games in their lifetimes...

I did learn how to score bowling, though. This little alley in Fieldbrook doesn't even have a computerized scoring system... so we were on our own. I knew some bowling terms, but knew absolutely NOTHING about scoring until yesterday. Luckily, Kelvin, our team's leader, taught me how to tally up the scores which, while initially was totally confusing, is actually quite logical. I learned a new skill this week! And check out the scores.... I even topped him in round #2!




Team "Tekkies"-- Elise, Kelly, Kelvin, me



Did you learn anything new this week?

No comments: