Monday, October 8, 2007

Cowtown Half-Marathon

Yesterday, I joined runners across the nation for various races, including half- and full-marathons going on-- Rachel ran 10 miles (super quickly) in the twin cities, Mindy ran CHICAGO (she said it was hot but hasn't filled me in on much more), and I'm sure there were others.

Now, when I moved out here, I was a bit intimidated because it seems like everyone is a runner, running all kinds of ridiculously-lengthed races year round because the weather is so awesome. It seems like everyone has done at least one marathon, triathalon, mega bike race, iron man, or other super-difficult race. I, on the other hand, had not.

I was never a runner and just really in med school started to increase distances (thanks to friends like Molly :)). I don't even particularly like running all that much, nor am I particularly coordinated or smooth-looking doing it. I always preferred to chase around some sort of ball (or frisbee!) in some sort of organized sport which is less isolating and less boring. But I now do it with some frequency for good exercise, esp. when I'm short on time, and it's nice that you don't necessarily need equipment (I realize I am, relative to these other serious runners, quite gear-deficient) or lots of people to do it with you.

But people are nice! It was neat to go to the start of the Cowtown, or the Sacramento race held yesterday, and be with 4000 people running with you! I was like, "If he/she can do this, I totally can!" My training for the event had been a bit horrendous, mainly secondary to the horrific intern schedule-- and consisted of pretty much just going for a long(ish) run on my one day off a week! Kate and I had signed up for this biweekly running group through Fleet Feet and, while she went quite often, I only made it (less than) a handful of times.

But we run at about the same speed (I'm a bit scared to post exactly what speed because it's way slower than Rachel and other real runners) and, along with Denise, another woman from the group, stuck together for the whole 13.1 (don't forget the point-one!!!) miles, yapping away, which made it seem like no problem even though it was the farthest I'd ever run in my life! The course started in Land Park, and then went up to run up on a levee paralleling the Sacramento River, which was very pretty. We also couldn't have asked for better weather (unlike, I hear, the midwest, which had some mugginess!)-- it was in the 40s when we started, around 7:30 a.m. (well-- this could have been warmer, but Kate the Minnesotan was like, "This is GREAT weather") and was up to 60s at the end for a daytime high in the 70s (gorgeous).

We finished in around 2:05 (you can do the math), and it felt great!!! Although my joints started bothering me around mile 10-11, I think I could have run for longer (so perhaps another half- to improve time, or a longer race might be in my future... .I can see how this is addicting and gets to that competitive side of me!). And (the best part), there was free stuff at the finish line! We were around to see the top marathon finisher (a second year UCD med student) roll in about half an hour after we finished, putting him at less than 6 minute miles (these people are crazy!!!! Did I mention that I think these people are crazy?!) and--get this-- the best part is that this was his first marathon. Wow!!! So here are some pics of this monumental event:

Kate and me with the "cowbell" we each got for finishing (she's not as proud of hers as I am :))
Denise, Kate, and me (running buddies)


Here with my classmate Jeremy (who also ran the half, finishing in like 1:38) and his wife Noelle, who ran the 5K


... and here is a random funny pic of Kate's back yard, which has turned into something of a dog-park with the neighbor doggies coming over freely from their yards to keep Lefty company :)

Today, I'm actually not too sore. I may even go for another run tomorrow :)

Oh! P.S. JB, if you read this, please call Nicole and Ajit. I am apparently now (along with Wendi) your message service so that when anyone wants to get in touch with you, they call me and tell me to tell Wendi and you. Or Wendi, if JB doesn't read this, tell him. Thanks a million :)

8 comments:

Rachel and Hans said...

Tara -
I'm so impressed that you did a 1/2! That is awesome! You could totally run the pace I ran, no problem. I think you and I should run the "Bolder Boulder" in CO someday. It's a race I have always wanted to do.
Sounds like the weather was great for your race. I'm jealous. The heat was terrible. I'm sore today too. Can't. go. down. stairs. Ouch.

Rachel and Hans said...

oops - just re-read that you AREN'T sore. lucky! that means you can run faster! :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tara,

The pics you have on here are awesome!! And congratulations on your half!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Ha ha! Okay, will do. Did Ajit call him? I did hear a message from Nicole!

And CONGRATS. I don't care WHAT your time is -- that's good. And more graceful than me who fell on my face running yesterday.

TAV said...

Rachel- you are funny. There's no way I could come close to running your pace. I hear the Boulder Boulder is TOUGH!!! I had a hard time WALKING in CO, much less running, but I think you could definitely do it (Kelsey may have an in :))
Pallavi- thanks for visiting!
Wen- that sounds like something I would do!

Anonymous said...

Tara! Congrats! What fun! I love the cowbell! You are turning into a true Northern Californian. :) The weather there sounds wonderful. It was unpleasantly hot and muggy here the other day (in the 80's - SO HOT!), and David and I were melting away. 40's to 70's sounds so nice! I want to come visit you! :0)

TAV said...

Les, come visit anytime!!! :)

yuan family said...

Congratulations Tara...a half marathon is a long distance!