Monday, December 25, 2006

Feliz Navidad!

Isaiah 9:6: For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

I didn't think I'd get another chance to post before leaving the country (I hope that's still the plan!) but here I am in the Denver International Airport.
Initially I was bummed that I wouldn't get to catch a flight out until the night of Christmas day, but it turned out really, really well. Cathleen and I celebrated our first Christmas together (I know that sounds kind of weird, but it really wasn't!). Who knows... if I end up at residency in Denver, we may have more (I wonder if I'd get any future Christmases off!).

We slept in and then went to mass at her church which was really nice. They put all the words to the different parts of the service- Alleluia, Communion hymns, etc. to various Christmas carols, and we loved singing along and hitting high notes and harmonizing to i.e. The First Noel and others that other parishioners wouldn't take the risk on :) The priest's message was also a good one.

We then came back to her place, gathered around the tree, and opened presents. Cathleen got a bunch from her parents, whose tradition is to give the kids (Cathleen refers to her sisters Celeste and Colleen as C1 and C2!) lots of Christmas ornaments and children's books. Cathleen was also really excited to get 'The Polar Express'! :).She made me a stocking and beautiful earrings as well. I can't believe how talented and generous she is! :) We now have matching little Denver Broncos snowmen to remember this Christmas together:)




We then went over and had a Christmas meal at the house of Eric, one of her coworkers. Everyone was so welcoming to us sin familias this Christmas and it was wonderful to be surrounded by so many of them! We ate, laughed, learned some poker and had a wonderful time. CC then dropped me off at the airport. So far the flights are on time. Keep praying!
Not sure when the next post will be, but expect some historias mexicanas sometime soon! :)
Una vez mas, 'Feliz Navidad'!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 2 days after Christmas! Just returned from Maple Lake...it seemed like you should have been there this weekend, so wanted to check in to see how things were going...Wow...quite the blizzard experience. I'm guessing since no more postings, that you have made it to Mexico. I have made a couple of trips to Denver, so recognized the towns/locations you were referring to. Roy/AnnMerete lived there during his sabbatical year, so we drove out with the family---spent a couple of days in Denver checking out the sights (the Mint--pre-9/11, Denver Zoo & Casa Bonitas)...then headed up to Winter Park for skiing, with a stop in the charming Mt. town of Georgetown on the way. I returned a 2nd time for a friends wedding, stayed in a condo in Dillon (shopped @ the SilverThorne outlet mall you were referring to)..& enjoyed the wedding festivities in the KeyStone area. Hiked in Frisco & stopped in several other areas. This friend that got married will soon be moving from Lake Calhoun-Mpls, to the home they just purchased in Evergreen (so---if you do end up in Denver, we would have multiple reasons to visit!) Happy New Year & Best of Luck with the interviews!

TAV said...

Amy! Merry Belated Christmas to you too... I'm so glad we got to meet up over Thxgiving although it would have been fun for Christmas too! You really did explore the area! We passed Frisco, Idaho Springs, and Georgetown out there. If I move to Denver, I would LOVE (and expect!) to have visitors, anytime! Love you and hi to the rest of the Arness family.