Thursday, January 9, 2025

#LadiesOfNPS say good-bye

 “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”
        -AA Milne, The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh


If you received/read our family's Christmas letter, you know that 2024 was a rough year!  We pivoted on vacation spots due to the middle east conflict, fled a devastating wildfire on vacation in Canada, lost our beloved 14-year-old pup, Pepper, to heart failure, faced the closure of our local birth center in October, and then endured more terrible election results where he-who-shall-not-be-named prevailed against the better-qualified candidate and superior human being.  The grief and change has been almost too much to process and bear, although we just continue to put one foot in front of the other, and continue to work through it all...

Today, I worked my last day (morning) and saw my very last patient ever at NPS, the delightful and homey prenatal clinic at which, alongside the most amazing team of staff one could imagine, I've served patients and families for over thirteen years (and at which I had my own prenatal visits). After the Mad River Birth center closed, we weren't sure what the future held for our prenatal site. Due to resources, space, and other organizational reasons, Open Door decided that it made the most sense to consolidate prenatal programs under one roof in Eureka. Unfortunately, we were given about one month's notice to swallow the news (although we negotiated for two, having a hard time coming to terms with the abrupt changes and knowing our patients would struggle additionally with little time to adjust to more whiplash).  The prenatal sites are both closed tomorrow (MOVE DAY), so that beds, equipment, supplies, papers, and more can be transferred from town to town to the other prenatal building, RCHC.  

(Now closed for more than lunch)


I was extremely sad when we learned about this (latest) change, grieving another huge community loss. NPS has had a small group prenatal practice with high continuity and satisfaction for patients, families, staff, and providers alike. The COVID pandemic challenged us all (and led to quite a bit of burnout), and, while several incredible prenatal nurses that are dear friends have moved away to other local positions, and providers have also left (or retired from birth work) over the years, we still maintained an extremely high quality of patient care, something uniquely special and unlike anything I have experienced anywhere or any other time in my career. I've delivered multiple children of multiple families, which is incredibly special to me and gets us treasured handwritten notes, cards, and baby photos!



I also have loved commuting 10 minutes to and from work and being able to drop off my kids at school and pick them up (now, likely, and sadly, a thing of the past).  And, although we will be continuing prenatal services at RPS/RCHC in Eureka and, with hope, will continue to offer high-quality and personalized care, I know there will be some kinks that need to be worked out and a tough adjustment period for staff and patients alike.  It's so hard when things that have been working so well for so long come to an end (for reasons out of one's control), and change. is. so. hard (especially for "dinosaurs" like me).

Christmas party photobooth photos from years past...

From a White Elephant Christmas Party- IYKYK


(#LadiesOfNPS, including Aileen, Molly, Dani, and Kayla)


One of the very last sessions at this workstation, my second home


I'm genuinely trying to find the silver linings in the clinic merge (additional exceptional colleagues and less care fragmentation are a plus!), despite the upheaval of everything we've been through in recent months. I've accepted the changes (even logging of EPIC today and walking off campus without tears), am looking ahead to effecting positive change at my "new" job location. Nevertheless, today, I reflect and hold space for grief and feelings, grateful for the wonderful years and laughs I've had and all the friends and memories I will keep despite this conclusion. It's been a huge blessing and privilege to work with the best humans and at the best prenatal clinic around... 






 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They need you, Tara. Use that as a lever to negotiate for hours that allow you to take care of your kids. They are important, and so are you. So sorry about all these changes but I know you will persevere and excel. <3