Thursday, June 1, 2023

Paper-making with Joanne

I am a frequent flier at the local library (the librarian, Joanne, knowing me by face/name). Back in January, I saw paper-making evening sessions (with limited space!) advertised at my local branch. I've been trying to do more social and/or "fun" activities with my life and asked Iver if he'd want to join me (I feel like this is an activity I may have done at summer camp when I was not much older than he is). However, he declined and so I invited my friend Kellie along instead (she was a bit leery signing up so early but agreed!). The (free!) evening was yesterday. 


Joanne, who has done dozen of the workshops, not only sent us a reminder email but also provided all of the supplies for us, including shredded paper (recycled library hours brochures) of various colors, flowers for decorating, the framed screens, sponges, paper towels, roller pins, blender, and water.



The steps (full recipe below because I think the kids would be into this!) included blending water with the shredded paper and flowers, then putting the pulp into a basin. The screen then "collects" the pulp, you squeeze out water and tease off the sheet, then let dry overnight and iron. 



Mine are on the left (light lavender) and Kellie's are on the right-- they turned out really well!  


Joanne's formula for making paper

3 cups of water in a blender
1 1/2 cups of shredded paper
Any flowers you choose to add
In a large plastic (rectangular) bin add 9-10 cups of water

1. Blend water/paper/flower to pulp
2. Pour pulp blend into the bin with water, swirl gently
3. Dip and "shimmy" screen into bin to collect pulp, and pull straight up
4. Dry bottom of the screen with a sponge to remove excess water
5. Place screen (paper side up) on a towel, and dry again with microfiber towel by pressing down
6. Flip screen over onto a piece of cloth/felt and dry corners from behind, which teases the sheet away from screen so that it falls away flat (DO NOT TOUCH THE PULPY SHEET!)
7. Cover with textured towel and roll with rolling pin (if additional texture is desired)
8. Repeat 2-3 more times if enough pulp (subsequent paper sheets become thinner).
9. Dry sheet(s) overnight and iron flat (optional)

This is a great project (even for not-really-crafty people/moms) to try at home-- Happy Paper-making! 

No comments: