Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Navigator of the Seas: Cruisin' with the Cousins!

Since Iver has various weeks off school (including the WHOLE of Presidents' Week [nothing I'd ever heard of before living in this county!]), we have continued to strategically plan our PTO for such times of the year.  A few months ago, my brother-in-law, Kenn, asked us if we'd want to do a family cruise from LA to Ensenada, Mexico this weekend and since our nephews Kingston/Klian only had Monday off, we had to take off a little early from our home (Iver completed some Independent Study activities assigned by his school). It was also an excuse to "celebrate" the little boys' fifth birthdays, with many celebrations omitted due to them growing up as "toddlers of the pandemic."

What better way to say "COVID, we're SO over you!" than to get on a one thousand-foot, four thousand-passenger Royal Caribbean cruise ship, the Navigator of the Seas (still waiting for symptoms... it was a very rare passenger and crew member that masked and we were not any of them). The ship docked and departed from Los Angeles' San Pedro port, about forty minutes from K's parents' house in Orange County. We boarded midday on Friday and spent the rest of the day exploring the ship's many levels.  Iver had actually been on a cruise (to the Galápagos as a 10-month-old infant in 2015), but this was the first cruise for the other boys (and the first Iver could remember). The kids were totally enamored ("We could totally live here!" exclaimed both of our boys). 






I'm not a huge fan of cruises in general, except when they're used as a vehicle (and lodging) to efficiently get from one interesting destination to another (some amazing cruises with my family included the Greek Isles and the River Nile). While I do enjoy good food and relaxing in the sun to read, I don't get that excited by all-you-can-eat buffets, fancy drinks (we opted out of a drink package and all-you-can drink deals are truly wasted on me), fancy pools, and nightlife, and the value doesn't often seem worth the joy (in my opinion). Kenn, however, got a great deal on this cruise and I definitely understand why people [people who seem to enjoy fun more than I do!] enjoy cruising, especially without kids!  There were many families and groups celebrating (per their matching tee-shirts!) milestone birthdays, upcoming weddings, and more and truly, I see that cruises have "something" for people of all ages and likes, making them easy choices for family trips.  However, there's something about the "pack" mentality of cruises (and resorts) and of being "served" that also makes me a bit uncomfortable as far as vacations go (not to mention the waste and environmental impact. I definitely prefer more quiet, off-the-beaten-path destinations with scenery and culture, and not having to compete with people/wait in line!).  I also know there are people that are terrified to get on boats in the open seas, or of infection (Norwalk virus, COVID, others...) and truthfully, I don't know if I expected cruises to make a big post-COVID comeback. But they, and the people that love cruising, are obviously back!

Exploring the decks (fourteen of them!)

Deck 11 was where the main food (buffet) and deck pool was






We had state rooms adjacent to one another so the kids roamed freely back and forth, and slept two people per (en suite) room.


The kids headed straight to the on-deck pool, which was heated.  






Niall got cold easily and stayed more out than in (except for some jacuzzi time).









The deck was a nice place for adults to enjoy the sunshine...

... and all for treats.   


Unlimited soft serve was a hit! 

(with kids as well as adults!)











The big kids (and Kenn) checked out the upper-deck rock wall.











There was even in indoor ice rink!


Iver, the pro! 

(Kingston's first time on ice skates!)

The littles were fascinated by the arcade.

Shuffleboard was a novelty


(Kingston wasn't a fan of strolling around the exterior of the ship!)

The littles tried nearby mini-golf and ping pong.








The bigs, Kelvin, and Kenn waited for a while to ride the upper-deck water slide, but alas, it stopped working and they had to "jump ship" to another activity.


They also braved a LONG line for laser tag (at first, unsuccessfully, but then got in after dinner), which was apparently their cruise ship highlight!


The second day on the ship was a day fully at sea (including a time when parked in a sunny ocean spot!), but on Sunday we stopped at the first point, (Santa) Catalina Island. Kelvin and I had spent one day in Catalina in 2011 at the end of residency with Serena/Brad (and dog, Shabu), and Wai-Kiu, Hanh and Mason, after a ferry ride I still remember puking through; however, I'd never been back.  Thankfully, our cruise was parked just a few minutes' tender boat ride offshore and I had no issues with seasickness on either the ship (big boats don't bother me at all) or short ride to the coast.















Kelvin had downloaded an inexpensive walking audio tour of Avalon, the main city of the 22 mile-long (and four thousand-inhabitant) island.




The kids were more interested in hitting a playground they spotted, so Kelvin and I walked along the shore, sharing Airpods and listening to some of the island's history and features, including the richness of fishing and its tradition as a getaway for the Hollywood elite.

The "Casino" is one of the most picturesque buildings on the coastline, but is a theater (never used for gambling).





Kelvin and I then took the big kids mini-golfing at (per Kelvin) "the best course I've ever been to!" (this includes may date nights in OC predating our relationship).




Iver even got a hole in one! 

Iver scored the cards and, with our "triple-bogey cap" per hole,  I did just better than Kingston (not quite in the "Tennis Anyone?" zone, but close).  Kelvin is quite good at mini golf! 

The little kids were happy at the beach with grandparents ông nội and bà nội...













... and Kenn/Lisa explored some of the island on foot.

The day after Catalina Island, the cruise docked in the port of Ensenada, Mexico (Baja California, Norte).  Unless my memory is mistaken, I'd never been to the Pacific side of Mexico before, so at least we hit a new *spot* on this cruise!




The town is known for it's huge flagpole and bandera, which, alas, was not flying due to (we were told by a security officer) no aire. 





We had booked an independent day tour (not through the cruise, saving $20 pp), which took us, the big kids, ông nội, and bà nội from the cultural center and the "birthplace" of the original Margarita, to La Bufadora, a natural marine geyser.












The "blowhole" is a spray of sea water caused by the water pressurizing in a cave near the coastline. 


We enjoyed some delicious seafood (clam bruschetta and pulpo, octopus, pictured here) and wandering through el mercado.

The little kids stayed with Kenn and Lisa but did get off the boat (to count Mexico as a country, for N!)




Their souvenir was a Kinder Egg from a Mexican 7-11! 

Of course, one of the highlights of the cruise was the delicious food we had.  The service was also incredible. We usually hit the buffet for breakfast and lunch but enjoyed three-course fine dining (early bird style) in the evenings. 











The kids did... okay. Niall did entertain himself during one whole meal by julienning veggie sticks.

Milk Cheers!


The kids even got a special "happy birthday" treat one night (celebration #3 for Niall!).











We took the kids to a few of the 7:15 p.m. evening shows. Then, usually, I'd (happily) retire to the rooms with our kids while Kelvin and Kenn stayed out later for the later performances.





Ice skating









The kids were delighted with the towel animals made by Vi, our cabin attendant.











The kids had so much fun with family! 






It's pretty difficult to get four boys to look (/smile) at the camera!



Working hard collaborating on an Avengers workbook.

Stateroom chess

Deck shenanigans ("shenamigans," per Niall).






Krazy Klian!



Kenn & Lisa got the boys these matching dino suits, which definitely got a few smiles from other guests when worn walking through the ship as a group.









We landed back at LA after four nights and (the kids) wishing the cruising never had to end!  While I'm not sure I'm "sold" on the delight of cruising for vacation (with small kids. Royal Caribbean is also already spam-emailing me!), it was a pleasant, sunny few winter days in which there was enough down time to read (and better than "work," for sure!). 

Dolphin pod off the ship's side





No comments: