Somehow, around Christmas, even in all the drowning in new gifts and toys (or maybe while I was trying to make space in our hallway closet to find space for stuff!), Niall uncovered a very educational Deluxe Lab Set that my parents (I think?) gifted (probably Iver) a few years ago but which we had stashed away.
I think the microscope may have been touched, but it was basically brand-new. Now Niall is OBSESSED with this kit, which includes cards with various experiments (many of which involve vinegar, baking soda, food coloring, and salt which are now depleted in our kitchen!), as well as mixing various other spices and kitchen staples.
He's constantly mixing "potions" (mad scientist or chef in the making?) in these containers and regular kitchen pots, trying to save them in the fridge, forbidding us from dumping anything, and begging us to do experiments with him. It's a full-time job to have him at home and try to hold onto some salt! Just short of running the blender, he concocted a whole (actual fruit) "smoothie" while I took a six-minute shower.
We also read this old book the other night (a tale like Stone Soup), and since we have a bunch of leftover Christmas cookies, his next concoction involved making "Cookie Soup."
"Mama! I need potatoes! Onions! Tomatoes! Carrots!!!"
Stovetop simmering
"It needs some more spice, I think!" he said upon taste-testing it.
And then he brought a portion of the "Cookie soup" broth to school in a mason jar (for show-and-tell but apparently not for consumption)!
I love that toys that the kids "forgot about" can be come their new favorites (and that STEM gifts like these can provide hours of [albeit a bit messy] entertainment). I just don't want all my condiments and spices depleted by this potion master/cookie-soup-making-monster! And there's a LOT of resulting dish washing! Lay off my salt, kid!








No comments:
Post a Comment