Monday, January 25, 2021

In seek of snow (SUCCESS!)

The kids have been asking to see "snow" for a while, now, which is a really rare thing around these parts (for California kids in general and especially on the coast, and as if we parents could just "create" snow!). Iver's first sight of snow was at Big Bear when he was about a year old, and he's only touched it a few other times total. 

In 2019, our backyard got a dumping of 2-3 inches, which was the first time I've seen snow accumulate on our coast in the almost ten years we've lived here, and which was so fun for the kids!  We've checked the forecast a few times for "Berry Summit," a mountain about 40 minutes east of us at close to 3,000 feet, but haven't caught any snow on the forecast this winter to date. During Thanksgiving 2019, a large storm dumped quite a bit of snow there, and we took some great family shots!

Yesterday, Kelvin heard that there were some snow flurries up the hill east of us. When your kids beg to see snow during a pandemic and the opportunity presents, you take it! He kids headed up there late afternoon to see if they could see some flakes (but he guaranteed nothing lest they be disappointed. It was still to be a snow-seeking adventure). I was on OB call so couldn't be that far away from the hospital but I was eager to hear what they saw (got some live weather broadcasts from Iver over FaceTime!).

SNOW SUCCESS! 



It wasn't much, and it was pretty slushy, but it was actually falling, which the kids loved, and it was enough to make snowballs with! 







I heard there might be a bigger storm coming, so perhaps we'll get another opportunity to go play with the white stuff again soon, when I can go, too! 


No comments: