A few years ago, I had blogged (My Black Thumb) about my complete inability to sustain growth of any plant in my custody.
Our current house has some nice planter beds that the previous owners cultivated, and there were some chives, artichokes, and some other green-leaf plant that was actually growing (and continued to grow) after we moved in.
However, three years in, the area had pretty much been overtaken by mint (which I've been told is pretty much an invasive weed).
Kelvin's mom (when she visits) has tried to plant some green onion bulbs and a few other things. This spring, my friend Kellie asked if she could come over and use the space to plant some seeds, and she did, putting into the ground some peas, bok choy, radishes, and one other thing I can't remember right now. She has also been diligently watering the plants twice weekly, letting herself in the back gate when we're at work.
What do you know-- we have thriving snap peas and rooted radishes that seem ready to pick! I insisted that Kellie reap the success of her borrowed garden patch, but she encouraged us to keep the veggies (which my kids actually will eat).
I have heard that root vegetables and greens do grow well in our environment, and I would hope that I would be encouraged enough by the above results to continue cultivating our little patch of soil. However, I don't have high hopes that I'd be able to keep it up. I think I'll leave the gardening to the real gardeners.


No comments:
Post a Comment