Iver's language and comprehension have been increasing exponentially lately. I can't believe some of the things he comes up with, lots of which make me laugh.
Soon after we came home from the hospital with Niall, we gave him a board game (Hi Ho Cherry-O) "from" his baby brother. While he appreciated the gift (and other friends have been extremely generous in their "big brother" gifts), he asked "How did he get me a present? He can't walk. He can't even crawl yet!"
When Kelvin and Iver came home from work/school with wrapped gifts, I asked "who are those from?"
Iver responded, "Papa's co-worker. His colleague!"
Kelvin: "Iver, do you want to be a doctor like mama and papa when you grow up?" (not that we're encouraging it).
Iver: "No, I'd like to be a nurse."
Kelvin: "Why?"
Iver: "I want to be a nurse because they give a lot of shots."
On another day,
Iver; "I found this Porcan."
Me: "What's a porcan?"
Iver: "Oh, it's a sock which is missing the other one."
Me: "Oh, you mean an orphan!"
Iver: "Oh, yes. Sorry. I meant orphan."
Before school,
Me: "Why are you wearing those shoes? Those aren't your school shoes."
Iver: "I want to SPICE IT UP!"
For dinnertime,
Me: "What do you want for dinner tonight? We have lots of (meal train) leftovers."
Iver: "Tell me my choices!"
Iver is a big fan of fruit (and desserts, which we really try to limit). He also knows that some diabetics need shots of insulin to keep blood sugars normal.
Iver: "Can I have dessert today?"
Me: "No. You already had it this weekend. We can only do healthy dessert today, like fruit."
Iver: "Why? Because if I eat it, I'll get diabetes?"
In the mornings,
Iver: "Aren't you going to work?"
Me: "No."
Iver: "Why?"
Me: "Remember? I have to stay home and take care of baby Niall while he's really little!"
While he's now able to put himself to sleep without one of us lying next to him for 45 minutes (and often falling asleep), he does still fight nap and bedtimes with me (i.e. refusing to stay in his bed, clinging to me and following me out of the room, crying and screaming, despite consequences, bribes, etc. It's sooo frustrating, stressful and distressing for me).
Last week, I pleaded with him, "Please, Iver, I have to go back out there since Niall will wake up soon. Please don't fight me today."
He responded, "Oh, I'm gonna fight you!" (and, sure enough, he did).
Later, I asked him, "Why do you only fight mama at bed-and naptime, and not papa?"
He responded "Because I LOOOOOVE you!"
Another time,
Iver: "Can I have dessert tonight?"
Me: "No, remember? You fought me for nap and lost that treat."
Iver: "How about if I listen now? Can I get it back? I'll be a good listener."
Me: "Hmm. Ask your papa."
I've basically decided that, when Kelvin is home, putting Iver to nap or bed is not a task that I'm good at nor enjoy, and it takes too much of a toll on our emotions with too many tears on both of our parts. It's much easier to (after we read stories together) let Kelvin say the last goodnight.
I never knew how stubborn and frustrating yet amazing a three-year-old could be!
Soon after we came home from the hospital with Niall, we gave him a board game (Hi Ho Cherry-O) "from" his baby brother. While he appreciated the gift (and other friends have been extremely generous in their "big brother" gifts), he asked "How did he get me a present? He can't walk. He can't even crawl yet!"
When Kelvin and Iver came home from work/school with wrapped gifts, I asked "who are those from?"
Iver responded, "Papa's co-worker. His colleague!"
Kelvin: "Iver, do you want to be a doctor like mama and papa when you grow up?" (not that we're encouraging it).
Iver: "No, I'd like to be a nurse."
Kelvin: "Why?"
Iver: "I want to be a nurse because they give a lot of shots."
On another day,
Iver; "I found this Porcan."
Me: "What's a porcan?"
Iver: "Oh, it's a sock which is missing the other one."
Me: "Oh, you mean an orphan!"
Iver: "Oh, yes. Sorry. I meant orphan."
Before school,
Me: "Why are you wearing those shoes? Those aren't your school shoes."
Iver: "I want to SPICE IT UP!"
For dinnertime,
Me: "What do you want for dinner tonight? We have lots of (meal train) leftovers."
Iver: "Tell me my choices!"
Iver is a big fan of fruit (and desserts, which we really try to limit). He also knows that some diabetics need shots of insulin to keep blood sugars normal.
Iver: "Can I have dessert today?"
Me: "No. You already had it this weekend. We can only do healthy dessert today, like fruit."
Iver: "Why? Because if I eat it, I'll get diabetes?"
In the mornings,
Iver: "Aren't you going to work?"
Me: "No."
Iver: "Why?"
Me: "Remember? I have to stay home and take care of baby Niall while he's really little!"
While he's now able to put himself to sleep without one of us lying next to him for 45 minutes (and often falling asleep), he does still fight nap and bedtimes with me (i.e. refusing to stay in his bed, clinging to me and following me out of the room, crying and screaming, despite consequences, bribes, etc. It's sooo frustrating, stressful and distressing for me).
Last week, I pleaded with him, "Please, Iver, I have to go back out there since Niall will wake up soon. Please don't fight me today."
He responded, "Oh, I'm gonna fight you!" (and, sure enough, he did).
Later, I asked him, "Why do you only fight mama at bed-and naptime, and not papa?"
He responded "Because I LOOOOOVE you!"
Another time,
Iver: "Can I have dessert tonight?"
Me: "No, remember? You fought me for nap and lost that treat."
Iver: "How about if I listen now? Can I get it back? I'll be a good listener."
Me: "Hmm. Ask your papa."
I've basically decided that, when Kelvin is home, putting Iver to nap or bed is not a task that I'm good at nor enjoy, and it takes too much of a toll on our emotions with too many tears on both of our parts. It's much easier to (after we read stories together) let Kelvin say the last goodnight.
I never knew how stubborn and frustrating yet amazing a three-year-old could be!
... and here's his younger, fortnight-old brother, who I hope will be equally smart and amazing (but less "spirited")!
No comments:
Post a Comment