My Minnesota trip concluded with spending a couple of days in my old medical school stomping grounds of Rochester. I got to stay with Hans (an anesthesiologist at Mayo) and Rachel (and brood) in their lovely home in SW and visit with some old friends. We did make one outing to the RAC (Rochester Athletic Club, which ROCKS, by the way!) to get some (much-needed) exercise on a rainy, cold Minnesota day, but mostly hung out with the kids at home, just "visiting," as they'd say there :). I think this is about the fourth time I've been back to Roch since med school graduation eight (!) years ago (it's hard to believe we've been friends for twelve years!)... but I missed Hans and Rachel the last time I was there in 2012, as they were in Boston.
It was so great to meet baby Lars (just one month old), Brita (almost 2), Thor (3), and see Kaia (almost 6) again, as she was less than one when I last saw the family! Rach certainly has her hands full at home, but she is a fantastic mom and definitely one I plan to emulate :)
Rach's mom came to take the two older kids to their house for a sleepover on Friday.
Lesley made the 3+ hour drive from Sioux Falls, SD to hang out with us on Friday night (and I can't believe it, but she also drove home the same night as her kids were still at home with David! What a trooper!). We also got to catch up with Ebby, although she "doesn't do" photos!
One of the greatest things about staying with a family with young children is that they had lots of equipment for little ones... like this Jumperoo. Iver slept and napped (pretty well) in their Pack'n'Play, which was awesome.
Before I had to head back to Minneapolis airport with my rental car (the original picking-up of which was a bit tricky to maneuver with all my luggage, the carseat + base, and Iver but which went ok!), Laurie, a family friend of my Dad and Grandparents who is a nurse at Mayo and who I enjoyed getting to know when I moved there for med school, came by to visit Saturday morning. It was great to see her again!
Here is a HUGE thanks to Hans and Rachel for hosting me for my stay. It was sooo great to see and catch up with everyone and I hope to be back soon!
It was so great to meet baby Lars (just one month old), Brita (almost 2), Thor (3), and see Kaia (almost 6) again, as she was less than one when I last saw the family! Rach certainly has her hands full at home, but she is a fantastic mom and definitely one I plan to emulate :)
Kaia was so sweet and gentle with Iver
Here is Lars and Iver.
The more I see this outfit on Iver (although it, bamboo, is incredibly soft), the more I am reminded of the Holocaust drama 'The Boy in The Striped Pajamas' and think my son looks like an inmate.
Thor is quite a character!
Rach's mom came to take the two older kids to their house for a sleepover on Friday.
Here is Nana with Brita and Lars
With all the kiddos on Friday!
Lars in his swing...
... and getting burped (so this position is not just something my mother-in-law invented!)
Lesley made the 3+ hour drive from Sioux Falls, SD to hang out with us on Friday night (and I can't believe it, but she also drove home the same night as her kids were still at home with David! What a trooper!). We also got to catch up with Ebby, although she "doesn't do" photos!
quick iPhone snaps

I
love these additional photos as they show Iver's inability to sit still
for even a few seconds (I wonder where he got that from??!)
love these girls!
One of the greatest things about staying with a family with young children is that they had lots of equipment for little ones... like this Jumperoo. Iver slept and napped (pretty well) in their Pack'n'Play, which was awesome.
Before I had to head back to Minneapolis airport with my rental car (the original picking-up of which was a bit tricky to maneuver with all my luggage, the carseat + base, and Iver but which went ok!), Laurie, a family friend of my Dad and Grandparents who is a nurse at Mayo and who I enjoyed getting to know when I moved there for med school, came by to visit Saturday morning. It was great to see her again!
Iver is going to miss his little buddy Lars!
Here is a HUGE thanks to Hans and Rachel for hosting me for my stay. It was sooo great to see and catch up with everyone and I hope to be back soon!

















2 comments:
We LOVED having you here! You are welcome anytime, although next time you should also bring Kelvin! Let's make it a tradition!! Hopefully the next round you and I will both get a little more sleep! 😄.
It was so good seeing you and Iver! Love you guys. Black Hills reunion 2016!!
Post a Comment