Sunday, December 21, 2014

Preparation (... and a whole lot of waiting...)

A blog I wrote but neglected to post yesterday... interesting given that we are now parents!!! More news to come later!!!:)

I am officially now on maternity leave.  I wasn't quite sure when it made sense to "go out" on my leave (in California, at least, 36 weeks [for otherwise uncomplicated pregnancies] is the time when you can technically be considered "disabled by pregnancy" and get partial pay from the state disability program while not working). I must say that I have had a really easy pregnancy with my only complaints a little bit of sciatic and pelvic pain and a bothersome ulnar neuropathy at night in the last few weeks, and so I have never felt like I was really not able to do my job while pregnant, and thus I did not plan to use this general 36 week guideline just because I could. I ultimately decided to have my last "work day" the Friday before I turned 38 weeks, just to have some time to get organized before this little one arrives (in the chance, albeit slight as first babies often arrive late, that I deliver between 39-40 weeks), which has been somewhat challenging when working full time.

Of course, I felt very guilty leaving clinic and leaving my inbox and my patients for others to cover, as I do still when I think of my extended absence after baby (I ultimately decided to set my return date in March close to 3 months after my due date, which could certainly be changed depending on how late I deliver, if there are complications or a c-section, and if I'm bored out of my mind on post-natal maternity leave :)).  However, I have really found that I am enjoying my "time off/stay-cation" and I've found it really great to have time to nourish my body and mind when preparing for childbirth. I have also learned that, medically, stress (particularly the catecholamines of epi and norepinephrine) can inhibit oxytocin which is necessary for uterine contractions, and one can't go into labor when too strung out like I often am in a busy family practice clinic or up all night with laboring patients, and thus I'm kind of glad I'm not working until 40 weeks or beyond (as I'd love this baby to come in 2014)!

I have definitely been nesting. In the last week, I did the pre-baby laundry. As much as we can call our office/place-where-baby-will-sleep-eventually a "nursery," it got set up in terms of the closet being cleaned, diaper and changing area organized, and clothes organized by size.  I mostly packed our labor bag(s), although I am anticipating a slow ramping-up-of-true-labor that will allow me to finish packing last-minute items (a book I read recommended having an "early labor" project, something to do while contractions are still mild, to give your mind and body a purpose so perhaps this will be mine :) We also live less than 5 minutes from the hospital, so Kelvin could always run home for anything I forget). I did some last-minute shopping in town and online for stuff we will need in the first few weeks.  I have cleaned the bathtub, with hopes to labor in it.  Kit, one of the staff members at the prenatal clinic, showed me how to install the carseat (I feel so much better that that's done!).  It's great to have time to do many of these things at a leisurely pace, rather than trying to squeeze all of the tasks on my to-do list into a couple of hours at the end of a busy clinic day before I generally fall into bed, exhausted.

Christmas came early for me in the form of a chest freezer (thanks, honey!). Our freezer is exceptionally small, and I definitely needed more space, as I plan to try to express and freeze some impressive quantities of breastmilk before I got back to work. I also have a plan to cook and freeze some easy-to-reheat meals for when I'm too tired to cook postpartum :).

As far as preparing the body: on Monday, I attended a prenatal yoga class for the first time. I'm not a "yoga person" in general (I'm quite inflexible when it comes to stretching, and I prefer more heart-pumping exercise in general. After I attended a "hot yoga" class with Amy one time in residency and nearly passed out, I was quite turned off from all yoga). But I really enjoyed this local class which used some adjunctive aids such as a yoga/birthing ball and tennis balls (which feel awesome when rolled against a wall on sore spots on your back!) to complement the breathing and stretching exercises.  My staff members at the birth center and my medical assistant, Jenn, had given me lovely gift certificates and so I enjoyed both a prenatal massage as well as a pedicure (since it's nearly impossible to paint my own toenails comfortably at this point!). The massage was heavenly-- Connie actually had a divet in her table for pregnant bellies and I was able to lie face-down (my preferred sleeping position!) for the first time in months during the 90-minute (!) massage (which was the longest I'd ever had). I'd been doing some reading about acupressure points, for both labor analgesia and induction (not that I am really trying for a December baby or anything! ;)), and when she asked me if I wanted those points massaged, which could nudge things in the right direction if my body was ready, I said "yes, please!" (but obviously we don't have a baby yet so it's not his time).



I've had some time to continue to read and watch birthing-related things on Netflix. Some of my favorite books I've read this pregnancy included Childbirth without Fear (Grantly Dick-Read), Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding, and everything else that Ina May Gaskin has written (!), So That What They're For (J Camaro),  many sleep books including Babywise (G. Ezzo), Happiest Baby on the Block (Harvey Karp), Good Night, Sleep Tight (Kim West).  Last week, I watched part two of Ricky Lake's "Business of Being Born" which was really informative, and some natural childbirth videos which really make me believe even more that "hands-off" labor is the best kind. I've also been watching a great British series set in 1950s London "Call the Midwife."  I've attended a couple of hypnobirthing classes with Tracy, a local midwife, and although we had to reschedule last week's class, I will finish it this week. Hypnobirthing aims to teach deep relaxation techniques to aid in childbirth coping. The cds are definitely hypnotic, so much so that I often doze off while listening to them, but I was told that the messages are still reaching my subconscious.

As much preparing as we've done and as non-procrastinators as K and I are, one thing we have still not accomplished is... picking a name for our future (supposed) son (we will really be up a creek if it somehow comes out a girl!).  We've of course discussed it on a number of occasions, and have a short list going, but haven't agreed on THE ONE yet, nor are we likely to do so or reveal our top choices until we meet him.  It seems so personal... and permanent.
So stay tuned :)

So, the clothes are washed. The bags are (mostly packed). We have diapers and clothes. We're almost 39 weeks by good dating which is when babies' lungs are considered mature and after which elective inductions/deliveries are considered acceptable. We are ready and just waiting. Not a particularly patient person by nature, this is hard and going to be hard for me, with each day that goes by waiting for some signs that I'm not going to be pregnant forever. It seems surreal that a live being is going to come out of my body sometime in the next few weeks.  But I know he will. I just wonder when. Come soon, little one! We are ready for you!





No comments: