Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Gluttony down south


When we go down to Southern California, one of the things we really look forward to is eating! Kelvin has his "requests" for Asian food. We tried some new delicious desserts and some old favorites on this past trip.

After our Secret Stairs hike on Saturday, Vanda joined us for hotdogs at Pink's, a famous L.A. establishment from (I think) the 1930s. The good thing about going at 930 in the morning after a crack-of-dawn hike? No lines!!! (While this was only my second trip there, the last time, we waited about 1-1.5 hours for food. None of the others, had seen it line-free either!)



Me and Tina

Danny and Vanda

Here is Hac Cao (Vanda's 10-year old shih-tzu) and Pepper sharing the floor

We then headed to nearby MILK, a nearby dessert place.

They make ice-cream sandwich cookies with pressed ice cream and macarons that are to DIE for!!!

I wish I had room to try more flavors, but we just had the salty caramel, which was heavenly on the hot day.


We had a family dinner of Shik Do Rak (Korean barbeque) and then finished the day with (Taiwanese) shaved snow, which Theresa informed us was THE FAD from last summer, and has continued to stay popular.

Finer than shaved ice, the "snow," which appears in soft sheets, really melts in your mouth. You can add "drizzle" (like condensed milk) and toppings like fruit, mochi, candy, etc. much like with yogurt bars.
These are pics off the internet and not our own creation, but our treat was delicious!





This week will be a bit heavy on the exercising to make up for our gluttonous weekend!

2 comments:

Eva @ Eva Bakes said...

Taiwanese shaved snow is awesome! I love eating this in Taiwan. My parents and their friends all chipped in to buy their own ice shaving machine. Come to think of it, I don't know where it is now... maybe I could borrow it!

TAV said...

:)