Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Agate hunting and a Birthday



On Saturday, to celebrate Alyssa's birthday, a group of us went out to the beach near Big Lagoon to go agate-hunting. While this is a hobby that is quite popular in the North Coast (as it is in areas south, too), it was my first time.

 Caley, Irene, Peggy, Alyssa, Amber, me

Hunting for agates requires a lot of patience (unfortunately, not something I have much of), and a very good eye. You have to crouch down and sift through lots of ocean-polished stones to find the clear, swirled rocks. I am sad to say that I was quite unsuccessful.

Here are some very large agate (sliced and polished), which are very rare.


We were looking for much smaller rocks, on the order of 0.5- 1 cm.


Alyssa, who grew up going agate hunting and tidepooling, was the real expert.  Whenever one of us found a questionable rock, we had to go to her for verification/confirmation of its agate-status (her response was, most commonly in her very kind manner, "I don't think that's an agate, but it's very pretty!).

(this photo isn't very good, but here is a real agate that Kristen found)


 Caley, Alyssa, me

After getting our soles all sandy at the beach, we relaxed a bit and got pedicures, which was an activity I enjoyed more as it had a much more favorable result (something pretty to show for it!) :)

It was Amber's first time getting her feet pampered  (check our her apprehensive expression!)

The special birthday girl!

Thanks, Alyssa, for introducing me to this new activity! I hope you found some nice stones and had a wonderful day!

No comments: