Sunday, March 18, 2012

My kind of Shamrock Day

If you haven't picked up on it, I am not very "into" festive-type holidays (with the exception of Christmas). I don't like dressing up for Halloween, I detest Valentine's day, and I don't own very much green (and certainly didn't dress up on St. Patty's day, or the Friday before). I think I have some shamrock socks which I got from my Grandma about 15 years ago, but didn't spend the time trying to dig them out to wear for the March 17th occasion. I don't really like beer (or Guinness, or any varieties of green beer), and besides soda bread, I am not even a fan of most Irish fare (and especially not a fan of corned beef and cabbage).

Our Shamrock Day was a perfect, quiet Saturday. It started with a successful run with Peppy, where she didn't even fight me much getting out of the neighborhood (it has been really rainy lately, but we had a gorgeous, sunny Saturday). We gave her another haircut, which went very smoothly. We watched a lot of NCAA basketball and relaxed on the couch. I read. We took Pep to Hiller Park in the afternoon, where she had her first real "dog park" experience. While it is not a fenced area, this park has the only (un)official dog park in the area (there is a movement to build a Eureka Dog Park, but they are still raising money), and Pepper had a great time!

While Pepper was just about the smallest dog there, she met another shih tzu (her twin, "Piper" who, at a mature 6, was mostly content in sniffing rather than running around).
Can you tell who is who?




She had a great time frolicking with "Daisy," this poodle mix.


We then stopped for one of the "Shamrock Shakes" we'd seen advertised...


As a lover of mint ice cream, I must say that it was delicious.
We ate some leftover sushi from our Friday night sushi night at Beth and Mike's (delicious, too) and relaxed some more at home for the evening (no wild parties here!).

We should have more St. Patrick's Days like this one!

No comments: