With TheBump.com you can:
- Find a friend's baby registry
• Search for baby shower ideas
• Forward this email to a friend
• Get pregnant faster with our must-have tools
• Get stage-by-stage pregnancy and baby advice
• Chat 24/7 with other women trying to conceive
Geez!! I was a bit offended by this e-mail, actually. It presumes that, six months into a marriage, I should be well on the road towards planning imminent childbearing. Certainly well aware of all the risks of AMA ("Advanced Maternal Age") pregnancies (pregnancies where the woman will be over the "old" age of 35 at time of delivery), I have nothing against people trying to conceive soon after their wedding or at an age when they are definitely more fertile. Many people have been with their partners forever, regardless of when they tied the knot, and are ready to get the child-rearing show-on-the-road. However, I was 29 at the time of our wedding, and while I am lagging well behind most (er... pretty much all) friends in the baby-department, and do really love OB/pregnancy care and counseling as part of my job, I am not really one of those "can't wait to get pregnant" people.
I personally think that 2 years is a minimum to be married before contemplating children and feel that 4 years is the optimal interval between children if you can plan it that way. I think six months of marriage may be an appropriate time frame after which one might think one can handle a dog, but (for me), it is definitely too soon to contemplate trying for a child. I do want children. I just do not want them yet.
So, The Bump, I think I'm going to have to ignore your e-mail for now. Try me again in a couple of years. And, to friends and family, please don't expect any "announcements" anytime soon :)
1 comment:
Hilarious, Tara! And you have my full support. Take your time! (we were married 2 years and have 2 kids now 26 months apart AND I was AMA with both) It's all good. For now, enjoy your job, your dog and EACH OTHER! :)
Post a Comment