So... not having the sole responsibility of packing like in previous years, the realization hit me more today (while unpacking) that I have soooo much stuff. Too much stuff. It is really unbelievable. It really actually makes me feel rather guilty (for having the movers have to move all of my junk), as well as sad because it makes me feel so materialistic. I mean, how many pots and dishes and how many clothes do we really need (one mover did note that he thought K might have more clothes than I do, though, which made my day :)). Currently moving from a 1-bedroom apartment (with K from a studio, although I had "stuff" for probably a 2+ BR!), I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to move a whole house full of "stuff," accumulated over many years. It really makes one seriously consider a) never moving again and b) never buying another thing (as well as getting rid of 80% of what one does have), as demonstrated by this photo:
When the movers unloaded today, I basically spent the day in the kitchen, being the inventory- checker of the numbered boxes to make sure all the items arrived, and then trying to find space for the gazillions of kitchen items and appliances that I somehow have (which are far out of proportion to both the extent and quality of my cooking). Just when I thought I had "got it all," ANOTHER kitchen box would arrive. We registered for some nice china and a few pan-replacements, but a lot of this stuff isn't even new (and you know that Kelvin, who is a great dishwasher but noncooker, hardly contributed any kitchen stuff... so it is actually mine!!). Oof da.
Luckily, the house we are renting is very spacious, with lots of cabinet and drawer space in the kitchen, closet shelving in all 3 bedrooms, space under the staircase, and a garage to boot. We are very spoiled. Especially including our anticipated furniture purchases (progress... I ordered a desk today!), we really can't downsize in the next move (unless we get rid of lots of "stuff"). I just hope (but doubt) that the next move may be our last. I have always enjoyed living in different locations and the richness of experience that comes with moving around the country (or world); however, I now feel much more like "settling down." How glorious it would be to just own a house, stay in it, and never move again...
Someday, I guess.
But until then, I am vowing to be better about jettisoning "stuff" and refraining from any more shopping (especially pots).
No comments:
Post a Comment