Monday, July 4, 2011

Hitched!


taken by Andy

Those of you who know me know that our wedding was certainly the biggest milestone in my life thus far! I would say that neither college nor medical school was as challenging as finding a compatible spouse (many of you can attest to the many nights I spent lamenting that I would be an old maid...) and I am thankful to say that I am lucky enough to have found someone to take me "in good times and in bad" and am now happily (ecstatically!) married!

Kelvin and I tied the knot on Saturday amidst a wonderful weekend of fellowship and fun. Most family arrived on Wednesday or Thursday. I was blessed with a super relaxing bachelorette spa experience (with a salt rub and mud wrap, novel to me!) planned by my wonderful sister (and maid of honor, Vanessa), and enjoyed with my other awesome bridesmaids (Laura & Mindy from our music days in college at U of R, and Katherine [K's sister]) followed by a very tame dinner with good girlfriends, while Kelvin was busy finalizing our wedding details!

We had decided to have two ceremonies... a traditional Catholic mass as well as a more personal outdoor ceremony at Wilson Vineyards, the site of our reception, and thus Friday afternoon was busily spent rehearsing for all of those :). We had a fun evening of toasts and Thai food before hitting the hay for the big day.

While we hired a professional photographer, our good friend Brenden from residency was an angel and worked hard all day taking "unofficial" photos so we'd have snapshots as early as this weekend! He is to credit for virtually most of the following gorgeous photos, with some others from Michelle/Andy and Julie.... enjoy!

The day started with Katherine, K's sister, my bridesmaid, and now my sister-in-law, doing my hair and makeup (and assisting all others in beautifying themselves). She is amazing in more ways than I can articulate, but to have such talent at my fingertips for the big day was an unbelievable gift.

We headed to the church (Our Lady of the Assumption) in Carmichael to prep for the Mass.
I found that sitting was possible (but difficult) in the dress, and using the bathroom was impossible...

Bustle check


Touchup


Getting ready to line up.... fitting that we were in red, white, and blue for this fourth of July weekend.


The processional... I entered to Jeremiah Clarke's "Trumpet Voluntary" which was played by Ovation Strings, a wonderful local string quartet.





The church was so pretty!


Unfortunately having contracted a upper respiratory infection from Kelvin, who was sick about 4 days prior, I was coughing uncontrollably during parts of the ceremony (thinking to myself "just don't cough on the priest!") and luckily was handed a cough drop and a water bottle before it was time for the vows.



Blessing of the rings


Husband and wife!


Recessional (to Handel's Alla Hornpipe)


A son gained


Vanessa and me


The Vus


Mindy, Laura, Kelvin, me, Vanessa, Katherine


After church photos, we headed to Clarksburg, on the river delta south of Sacramento, for ceremony #2 at Wilson Vineyards.





I love this one in black and white


We took some photos in my grandfather's old Ford which now lives in Lodi with Boni/Mike, friends of my MN family.





Lining up in the barn


The happy groom (despite the blinding sun and 100-degree heat!)



Chamreun, Mindy



I was escorted by my parents


Debbie, one of K's UCLA friends and a minister, presided over our vineyards ceremony








My cousin Jacky sang "I know you by heart" (Eva Cassidy) in her angelic voice, my sister read a passage from Robert Fulghum, we recited our own vows, we poured unity wine... and then it was really time to celebrate!



On to the reception...

Boarding pass guest cards



I changed into an áo dài (material from India, made in Westminster, CA) for the entrance to the reception...



Our bridal party competed for the "best entry"...


During our delicious dinner of tenderloin, veggies, and scallops, we did the traditional Asian "table greeting" to say hello to our guests!




Kelvin had to kiss and guess which fair maiden's hand was mine...


... which he did successfully (we must be made for eachother!)




We toasted with champagne...





My sister's speech made everyone laugh and cry...




We cut cake (which was decorated by my college roommate, Cathleen, to fit our travel theme)...




... and ate Mochii frozen yogurt for dessert (with memories of one of our first dates)


...while the children played



The sun set over the vineyards...







... and we danced the night away




What a fabulous time. I am so thankful for all of the support from our families and friends. I was thrilled with everyone who could make it. Marco, my sister's boyfriend, traveled from Albania to come, and K's grandma came from Vietnam. Thanks to an awesome now-husband who is a better planner than I am, I really had no stress and had to just show up to get married. I couldn't have asked for anything to go more smoothly (except for it to be about 20 degrees cooler :)).

We enjoyed a fabulous barbeque at John and Rocky's yesterday to wrap up the weekend... and now it is back to "real life" including lots of thank-yous and studying for the boards (ugh).
I must say, though, everything is better when you are married. I am loving life!

4 comments:

David and Lesley said...

Congatulations Tara and Kelvin!! We wish we could have been there to celebrate with you!! Thanks so much for posting all of the photos and running commentary about your special day - it's the next best thing to being there. You were a gorgeous bride!! Lots of love!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Oh Tara!!! How I wish I could have been there -- what a party!

However, it is probably good I didn't come. I would have taken up 3 seats -- mucho expensive for you!

yuan family said...

Congratulations Tara! You looked gorgeous! I also appreciated seeing all of the photos since we couldn't be there. It looked like it was just the perfect day. We are so happy for you!

Joia said...

Tara, you are Breathtaking!!! What a beautiful, amazingly fun day you had - all the best to you and Kelvin! =)