Friday, October 29, 2010

The Indian Way

Indian Time

There is such a thing as Indian Time. While I always thought that all Asians were punctual, I have since learned that it is typical for Vietnamese weddings to not really "start" until an hour after the posted time (with guests arriving an hour or more late-- please come on time to ours!), and Indian event start times are, similarly, "suggestions." Yesterday, when we were asked to join the hospital chief of staff at the SHARE India office "immediately," the meeting didn't start for over an hour and 15 minutes later! The college-week-finale ceremony last night started, not as scheduled at 5 pm yesterday, but at more like 630. And the music, I think, went on all night!

The head bobble

If you spend 5 minutes in India, you will become accustomed to the "head bobble," which generally means "ok," but I think can mean anywhere from "yes" to "no." We have been well educated, per Lonely Planet, to ask NOT yes-or-no questions for fear you will be led astray by the ubiquitous head-bobble, but rather ask open-ended questions so that your interviewee has to commit to an answer.

+/- Electricity

Our power goes out at least once, usually 2-3 times per day. It is not a huge issue (it usually comes back on within 5-10 minutes) unless you (like Kim was once) are in the shower needing the hot water heater and convenience of lights. The internet is also kind of unreliable-- it was down all day yesterday, but back up today. The absence of convenience can be accepted; however, it is the unpredictability which can become frustrating.

Curry forever
I love Indian food. I love curry. But I am not sure I can eat it three meals per day for a month; currently, this is what we get at the hospital canteen. One day, Kim and I were fantasizing about pancakes and we did indeed get some sourdough-type of pancake for breakfast. Our prayers for eggs and bacon, however, did not amount to anything. We miss IHOP :)

No comments: