Saturday, May 8, 2010

Computer update

So my premonitions that my Dell laptop was on its last legs was correct. I've had the Macbook for a few weeks but it only came out of its box last week. Its use has dramatically increased, though, since my laptop screen seemed to bite the dust on Thursday. Now, after I boot up my old PC computer, I have a blank, black screen making everything on it inaccessible. Luckily, I had backed up my harddrive about a month ago, but now have lost everything saved on the desktop since then (unless one of you computer geniuses out there can help me figure out how to blindly save things from my computer onto another form of storage).

We were able to get Microsoft Office loaded successfully, making it possible to use word processing and excel spreadsheets (surprisingly, I haven't had any issues with compatibility), and I surf the internet quite well.

All the icons at the bottom of the screen sort of freak me out, I haven't gotten used to the "one toolbar at a time per application" feature, I still automatically hit "CTRL + ***" rather than the funky "command key," and I don't have the "two finger touch to right click" thing down yet, but I'm learning.

I've had some frustration (well, frank failure) trying to load the Linksys wireless router CD setup in order to broadcast wireless in my apartment, but, with Char's help tonight, might be able to get this feature up and running.

Despite the above, I have to admit that the computer is quite fast. I like the feel of the keys on the keyboard. And, most importantly, the computer is very sleek and pretty :)

No comments: