Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Counting down...

So I apologize for my lack-of-blogging recently. Usually that means one thing: a busy schedule with not much (other than work) to discuss. I've been back on OB for the past 2.5 weeks.

I have no cool pictures to post, despite recent outings to the Lodi Grape Fest (beats the Pear fest! :)), Apple Hill (a collection of many orchards about 40 minutes east of here, which was gorgeous and where we got awesome donuts!), and the Dixon (world's largest!) Corn Maze. Last week was my last frisbee outing for a while.

Despite long hours on L and D, it's actually been a good time. Despite a week of antepartum, which is quite painful, I was the "day" resident for one week and got a lot of c-sections. I've had some calls busy with deliveries, which has been fun, and I also got to deliver one of my continuity OB patients last week. I've worked with fun residents and attendings. Now I am on nights, and it hasn't been too bad because I haven't had to spend much time in the ER. The quality of nights/call on OB (for me) is based almost entirely on whether or not I have to go to the ER for a consult on vaginal bleeder, rule out ectopic, or pelvic pain patient. I hate, hate, hate it. I just want to hang out upstairs watching and helping babies be born :) I even got to sleep last night! As an intern, I don't think I even knew there was an OB call room. And I think I only got to sleep once as a 2nd year.

I had a scheduled Saturday 24h call into nights this past weekend which would have been pretty horrible, but Joe kindly came in to relieve me, which gave me a few more hours to sleep and catch up on some "life" stuff, including getting to see Aline (last year's FP/OB grad, now working in Colorado and potentially saving me a spot to practice ;)) who was in town for the ALSO (Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics) course, and getting to celebrate Kyla's birthday (with amazing desserts from Rick's Dessert Diner). We celebrated Jeremy's birthday with Karaoke and Italian food on Friday.

Currently, in my "time off" between around 8:30 am and 6:30 pm, I am working on finalizing/organizing details for PERU!!! I end my week of nights on Friday morning, with post-nights Friday AM "torture" clinic and a circumcision to follow, and leave Saturday morning for Lima. I am excited, although I'm not sure it has hit me yet that I will be out of the country for three weeks! This is, by far (and sadly), my longest (and farthest) trip in residency!

The first week will be spent with Dr. Mayes and a group of University of Richmond sophomores working with a Peruvian organization Pan Peru in Pampas Grande, working in the Andean village's clinic and schools doing health care and health education. Then Mindy, Kelvin, and his friend meet me in Lima to travel around for the remaining 2 weeks. We're planning to visit Nazca and see the lines (mystical sand art), then hike a 4-day trek around and visit Macchu Picchu. Mindy and I will head to Bolivia while I think Kelvin and his friend are going to visit Argentina before meeting back up in Lima at the end to fly back to the states on November 1st. While I will miss many local "fall" activities, including more trips to Apple Hill, Oktoberfests, Halloween parties (I actually don't really like Halloween), and weather which is just perfect (I LOVE fall; and, Hans and Rachel, I bet my "fall" is appreciably warmer than your "fall" :)), I am looking forward to some much needed R and R (my last vacation was in March). It should be a great time!

And while I am not sure I will be a better blogger from South America, I may drop an update once in a while. I will make up for my current lack-of-pictures with pictures on my return. Adios for now...

2 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Peru!!!!! So awesome!!! Please blog more. I miss you terribly.

yuan family said...

Good to hear from you. I am excited that you get to go to South America...where are you going in Bolivia? Brandon and I were just there this past May..