Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor day weekend in San Diego!

Have I mentioned lately how much I adore California?

I am so excited by seeing/visiting new places and despite all the cool places I have gotten to visit in 2 years, there is still so much left of this great state to explore! This weekend's getaway was to San Diego.

The only and last time I was in SD was circa 1992 or so with my family, where my (albeit fuzzy and random) memories included visiting the zoo and seeing two-headed snake named Thelma and Louise, and experiencing a 6.5 earthquake after-shock (after sleeping through the 7.4 initial shake [mom, can you verify?]). It was fun to go back to the city as an "adult!"

Molly's friend Laura from Salt Lake is from San Diego and we were fortunate enough to have free lodging at her beautiful house in La Mesa.

Saturday included a run around Mission Beach (mine just a few miles out and back, while Molly [who has done a 50-mile run] and Laura [training for a marathon]'s jog was a mere half-marathon to La Jolla and back!). We then had some quality beach time, including napping in the sunshine, reading, as well as body surfing in the glorious 73-degree water. I could not get over that I (someone who hates being cold and is generally very hesitant to get into ocean water) was voluntarily swimming in the ocean.... in September. I really can't remember the last time I swam in the ocean!

The girls: Laura, Molly [a.k.a the non-sunscreen-wearer... can you see her sweet "horseshoe" sunburn? :)] and me


Sweet San Diego sand (and recent pedicure)

We finished the already near-perfect day with a night of delicious sushi at Mr. Sushi in Pacific Beach.

Me and Molly (acquiescing to a picture after she wouldn't let me photograph her tree-climbing)


On Sunday, we headed out to walk the beach at another gorgeous stretch of coastline on Coronado Island.

Molly and Scott (Laura's brother), beachcombing


Frank, Jed, and Laura




"Dog Beach" which was surprisingly clean!



Large sand turtle!



The historic Hotel Del Coronado


Scott and Molly just behind the "Hotel Del" (don't you hate this view?? :) We were also commenting on how much we would hate to live in one of the many mansions flanking the isle's streets)


Scott (sporting brand new shades) and me



Unfortunately, all of us but Laura had to head back home Sunday night (Mols to work today and me b/c my Capital Ones miles only covered my trip for free if I flew back on 9/6); however, I had a late flight and was able to do a bit more exploring. I walked around La Jolla ("The Jewel"), a kind of posh community up on cliffs overlooking the ocean, before driving around downtown a bit (surprisingly, San Diego is quite easily navigable) and wandering around Balboa Park, which houses tons of museums and gardens and includes the famous Zoo.

I have a thing for rose gardens, and this was a nice one!


Lily Pond


Frothy fountain by the Science Museum (I loved watching the suds- soaked kiddos splash around!)

And .... for the icing on the cake that was this glorious past weekend... (ok, well, the second icing, as the first icing was NOT having to work today on labor day and having a day to recover from having so much fun in SD!)

.... Just prior to leaving southern California, I was, nerdily, checking EMR via San Diego Airport's free wireless network. Although the weekend would have still definitely been worth it if labor day weekend had included labor that I missed, to my great pleasure, I discovered that I had not missed my patient's delivery. I was blessed with a marvelous gift of a weekend.

As Voltaire wrote, "God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to give ourselves the gift of living well." Thank you all for your previous comments which made me feel justified in the decision to "seize the weekend." May we all continue to live well.

1 comment:

Lisa Carter said...

Looks like an awesome weekend! I love San Diego!