Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pears galore!



This past weekend's major outing was to the Pear Fair in Courtland, CA, which is approx 20 miles south of here.

I'm not sure why I was so excited about it. Others, being somewhat disappointed after visiting it, are seeming to really wonder why I was so excited about it. Nevertheless, I had fun! For some reason (hmm... might it be that I love food?), food festivals intrigue me! I'm all about trying varieties of interesting foods in all forms. Last year, Amy, Shomir, Betza, Tom, and I visited the Asparagus Fest in Stockton, which was a good time. I know of at least one interesting festival I feel I really must attend sometime-- the Garlic Festival in Gilroy, CA (!), but I'm sure I could quit residency and not have enough time to attend the various (tomato, strawberry, peach, etc.) fairs that are held around this very "fruity" state!

I have to credit our awesome class photographer, Brenden, for 98% of these photos.

The acres and acres of pear orchards we saw on our drive along Hwy 160


Learning about pear buds


Group shot smiling b/c we're having so much fun: Anika, Char, Amy, Phi, me, Dr. N


1st and most important stop: pear pies (they ran out very quickly so we lucked out by coming early)



Char, digging in (we all had a "piece of the pie," if you will. Very tasty!!)

Oliver and Anika (Anika is eating for two!)


Phi and me investigating the CA "lemon law" booth

Amy and me contemplating which, of all thes foods there (pear strudels, pear smoothies, pear-mosas, pear cider, etc...), we should try next...


Guess what won.... Pear ice-cream!

It actually looked (and tasted) a bit suspiciously of vanilla, but I have to admit that there were pear flecks.

"Are you sure this is not vanilla?!"

Amy is still not convinced (I, however, chowed down regardless. Vanilla is still one of my favorite ice cream flavors!)

(Amy, take a bite, will you?!)

I think she may have taken one bite by now!


Phi downing his


This picture, taken as we awaited the start of the "Pear-ade" (!), strikes me as funny. Doesn't it look like everyone is saluting w/ the ice cream cones??

I would totally get dressed up in this pear get up year after year... for lots of money (or payment in pears)

Various "pear-ade" flags

Go, tractor, go!


A break from the 100-degree weather to stand by a large inside fan


We all took home a ton of pears (a huge bag cost us only $10!)

Hmm.. gotta start researching the next food festival!

Thanks again to Brenden for being such a great photo documenter!

3 comments:

Serena said...

ok, the garlic festival? very cool. wine festivals in napa? even cooler. The pear festival? much lower on the cool list.

Laura D said...

How do you find these events???

Vanessa said...

Looks "pear-y" fun!
Heh heh heh.