Friday, May 1, 2009

Where I am and where I am not

Some recent emails I have received:

1. From the 'rents:

"Hi T,
We're half way through our trip. After a day in Nice and a week on our cruise of the Rhone River, we arrived in Paris today after a bus ride through Burgundy. Tonight we took the evening cruise on the Seine River. Tomorrow is the standard city bus tour, followed by a half day at the Musee d'Orsay. The day after that we plan to take the train to Giverny. The weather has been good, except for one day of pouring rain at Avignon. We're not spending a lot on wine. We're just sticking to the house wines, which are adequate. The cruise food was great, but now we're on our own for the next week. The French surely know how to enjoy life. [I'll say!! And so do my parents!!]. Love,Dad"

From the sis:

"Vienna continues to be great! ... We did a lot of sightseeing [Italian bf was in town] - went to a Hapsburg Palace, the zoo, some art museums, and even to Bratislava, Slovakia! And the weather was sublime (sunny, in the 70s, with all the flowers blooming) for his entire visit - so I think he has this impression that Vienna is perfect. And I'd have to agree--it is pretty fabulous. ... some of the other young people working for the various country delegations are also a lot of fun. Last week I met up for drinks with two Norwegians and a Swede, and we talked for half an hour about why IKEA is amazing... May's gonna be a busy month. I'll be in London next weekend (there are awesome airfares--I must have done something right in a former life for this good karma!) And in May, I'll be in Rome! A good friend of mine from high school is going to be in Italy with her family, so we planned to meet up in Rome for the weekend.... I can't wait to see all the Roman ruins and to eat obscene amounts of pizza, pasta, and gelato. Please keep in touch...and think about visiting [believe me, I would if I could get out of jail!!]! I will show you all the nice areas... Socialism and sunshine, V."

Boo. I feel so trapped. I think the cramp on travel is just about the worst things about residency (or "Jail," as Kyla calls it). I am trying my hardest to be able to go to Peru for a week in the fall with a college "global health" group and luckily have some elective time to work with next spring, but, recently, all I've been doing is being a slave to the ER gyn pager (I just finished my last week [seventh in a row] of OB for the year... until about September, and I spent about 5 consecutive hourse of last night's shift in the stinky ER doing onc admissions and consults!!). I do have Ajit's wedding in NY at the end of this month to look forward to (a nice trip following my next month which starts Monday at the dreaded VA hospital), but I just am feeling sooo restless and want to bust out of here and go travel for a long time!!!!

In other, more uplifting news (but some more of where I am currently "not" and nowhere near), CONGRATS to two sets of friends who became parents in the last couple of weeks!! Natasha and Nikola welcomed Cristiano, 7lbs11oz, 50 cm and the "tallest kid in the nursery" and then, on Wednesday, Jeremy and Noelle had baby Kacey at our very own UCD L and D. Next up: Betza/Tom and Laura/Tony (34 weeks, who I have a suspicion may even go to term despite being on bedrest since 20 weeks-- sorry, babe!). Can't wait for these littles ones' arrivals!!

3 comments:

rachel said...

I want to join your family wherever they are, too! :-) Soon residency will be a thing of the past and you, too, will be able to travel lots!

Laura D said...

Yeah, you think YOU'RE in jail!! Ha!! Try 13 weeks of bedrest, and still counting! I swear there could be hell to pay if I make it full term! ;) I'll be grateful nonetheless. And, I totally share your wishes to be in all of those wonderful places (good thing we already went to some of them after college). Miss you!

Vanessa said...

Yes, but you are gainfully employed, while I will likely be flipping burgers at McD's after September! "I have a Master's in International Affairs. Would you like fries with that?"