Sunday, January 18, 2009

January Melting Away/ (Weekend in Monterey)...



Phew! It's been a busy month so far. I started back on L and D the first week in January, which always leaves little time for blogging. I've had a couple of back-to-back Saturday calls, applicant dinners and things taking up evening time, as well as a cold to battle, and I've felt a bit run down. However, as I find my name below even Lesley's on Wendi's blog-roll, I figured I'm due for a post! Prepare for a slew of pictures!



The above pic (me with Kate and Maya), and these just below, are from last week's dinner at The Melting Pot for Amy's birthday. It was a fun time! I'd only been to this restaurant in Virginia before, for cheese and chocolate. On Wednesday, though, we did the whole multi-course meal, with cheeses, salad, meats to cook in the oil, and chocolate for dessert. Oof, I was stuffed. I was a bit paranoid cooking the meat (and due to my impatience, I think I ate some sort of raw stuff), but everything else was amazing!



Amy, across the large table, deep in thought


The server prepares the cheese fondue


Jeremy goes for the meats, while Phi (stuffed-looking, no?) and Noelle look off into the distance


I almost hate to bring this up, because I know so many of my dear friends and family members are freezing their butts off in MN; however, here goes. A few of us were going to go up skiing this MLK weekend; however, due to my being put on call Monday and the fact that it's been too WARM, made us make alternative plans. It's been up into the 60s and, today, 70s, all week! It is so hard to believe this is January. However, I'm certainly not complaining.

Shomir and I took off Friday night for Monterey. This is the 2nd time I've been through there, the first time being with Amy last February.

Funny sign near our hotel room:
... but in other states it's just speculation???

Downtown Plaza on Cannery Row

Aquarium!!
Crab in the touch pool!





Leafy sea dragon (these are so wacky!!)

Penguins!
Otters!


Otter outside



We then went on a 3-hour whale watching cruise! This is the season when the Gray Whales make their trip between Alaska and breeding grounds near Baja, CA. We saw a bunch of whales, as well as Risso's dolphins (the pics don't do the trip justice!) and sea lions.









Dolphins
We had a wonderful seafood meal (here is my Cioppino) and relaxed the whole evening (much needed!!)
Today, Shom and I took a loop on the 17-mile drive around Pebble Beach, CA. The weather was gorgeous, as was the coastline!


near Bird Rock


(he made me buy these sunglasses)

"The lone cypress"


Another lookout onto the Pacific

We had lunch near the boardwalk in Santa Cruz....

... where people were sunbathing, and surfing, IN JANUARY!!!!

My car's outside thermometer read:


I love California.
Now if only my call days could just melt away...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! :) I am hoping that one of these days we can make a drive up the coast to Monterey and to visit you guys. It's warming up here...20 degrees yesterday, so don't feel bad about posting your weather report. David said, "It felt so warm when I was out shoveling last night." :)

Anonymous said...

Isn't Monterey so cute. I loved it there when I went to visit English. We also took the 17 mile drive and it was breath taking.

yuan family said...

The pictures are gorgeous and I would love to be in that weather! Thanks for the update...I was wondering what was going on in your life...

mjp said...

dood, when did you guys go?? just posted our monterey pics where apparently we did the EXACT SAME THING- aquarium and whale-watching! hehe.. hope you feel better soon!

Laura D said...

Hey, you should visit my dad's cousin at their bed and breakfast "Flora Vista Inn" in the Monterey area. My great aunt Ramona Bennett lives around there, too if you ever need the company of a friendly lady. :)

TAV said...

Monterey is great! Wish you all could go! Michelle, we just went this past wknd-- glad you liked it, too! Laura- next time we'll have to hit up your fam...