Sunday, July 13, 2008

Golden

Just in case you, like my grandmother, are very concerned that the California fires are destroying my Golden State habitat, do not fear. I am alive and well. I haven't blogged in a bit because of the schedule, not because Sacramento is burning. However, the air quality up here has certainly taken a turn for the worse. It is hazy and even muggy, in contrast to the usually clear and dry Sacramento summers. But it still beats MN winter or DC summer.

In news....
I was blessed with two days off in a row (rare in residency!!!!!!!!!), making this a "golden weekend." I almost didn't know what to do with myself... ha ha, just kidding. I make up for it by being on sandwich OB Saturday calls (2 in 3 weeks--last weekend and then next weekend), but I think it was worth it!

Shomir's mom and stepdad came to visit from Indiana and we had a fun time hanging out with them. On Friday (Shom's stepdad Buford's bday), we had a Christmas in July gathering at Shom and Andres' house, complete w/ a while elephant gift exchange (I scored big w/ mojito mix!) and decorations. I made another marginal german chocolate layer cake. Shom's house actually looks livable now, as he's hit up Craig's list and has, in the past 1 week, doubled his living room furniture that now includes a classy coffee table as well as a comfy couch for curling up on to read. Sorry no photos. Some girl, worn out from a long 2 weeks on OB, fell asleep on the abovementioned comfy couch in the middle of the party, circa 10 p.m.

On Saturday, we made a trip out to Nevada City, a town about an hour from here in the Sierra Foothills which was integral to the 19th cent. GOLD RUSH. It was a very cute historic Old Town with old-fronted shops and such. We had lunch at the National Hotel which, as you can read from below, has been around a long time, and wandered a bit, hitting one winery before heading back to Sac.

GOLDEN boy with his mom and pops

my turn
I (um... we...) like wine :) We spent Saturday night in Old Town Sac, which is also set up like an old gold rush town, where Shom's mom and pops were staying on the Delta King riverboat! We had a lovely dinner and saw a show down below deck before then sitting outside enjoying the crisp evening air. (someone had fun w/ my camera- wish we were all in this photo!)

Today, we went to church, had yummy Indian buffet @ Kaveri's, watched "Bella" on HDTV and then (some) napped a bit before Shom had to go into work (night float).

I will miss my golden honey for the next 2 weeks as he'll be on nights (night float, w/ next Sat-Sunday off) while I'll be on OB --> newborn days (+Sat-Sun call). Totally opposite schedules but perhaps our paths will cross...

2 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Love that last pic of you tara!

Dancing Darina said...

Hey Tara,

I have pics from the Christmas in July party if you'd like to steal them! :-)

Have a great week! Good seeing you. Shomir will be going to my last season game/performance w/ Alvin on Saturday. Maybe you can come?

Darina