Okay, before you think I am a total internet junkie, let me just say that I write this from (rural) Rawlins, Wyoming. My Dad and I are staying at a Super 8 Motel (one of the nicest I have been to, actually!), and there is nothing else to do (we ate dinner already at a local place, Cappy's), except play more Sudoku, watch T.V., or read more of my books which are getting read quickly. And this wireless is free.
The trip has been great so far! It started on Monday, Memorial Day, right after I got back from Chicago, when my wonderful, wonderful, wonderful friends Wendi, Ebby, Hunter, Cole, Natasha, and Nikola helped me move all my personal effects into a 10-foot UHaul. Although there were, at times, some concerns about whether it all would fit (I found myself saying, "I'm not that attached to X, or Y..."), the Organizer Wendi, with the assistance of the brains and spatial skills of Nikola, the Mighty Macedonian Man, miraculously fit everything in! It took just a little over 1 hour-- how amazing is that?! My Dad then rolled in on a shuttle from Minneapolis after the packing was done and after a nice last lunch at Pannekooken with the crew, we rolled out of Rochester. As Wendi has written, there were no real "goodbyes" but rather just more "see you laters."
And as I left Rochester, I was not sad in the slightest. I'm glad I drove away with someone (my Dad), as it would have been harder leaving everyone behind if I were by myself. But I think I've figured out why I haven't been more upset and emotional this time around-- it's because I know that I will see and keep in touch with all of the wonderful people I truly care about. Honestly, I think everyone should have a blog :) But I think what is sad to me is to think that I might never see some people again... which is most definitely not the case with my close Roch buds... Despite there being many things about Rochester that have been hard for me-- especially stressful times in school and struggles with moods, loneliness, etc., living there has blessed me with so many lifetime friends that I am so glad I called it home for four years. But as I drove out of town south on Broadway, I felt like I was leaving troubled times of the past behind and embracing the adventures of the future. I truly felt like a weight was lifted. I was at peace. I am finally moving on.
Within 2 hours, we had also said goodbye to MN! With so much help, my Dad and I were able to get a much earlier start than we had anticipated and made it down through Des Moines onto Hwy 80 (which is actually a straight shot to Sacramento!) and to Omaha, Nebraska, for the night. I got to cross off another state from my "list to visit." We even ate at a Cracker Barrel, on Wendi's recommendation-- cool place! Here are some snaps from yesterday.
Dad behind the wheel in Iowa. There was a beautiful rainbow behind him, but it didn't come out in this photo.

Cracker Barrel in Omaha 
Proof that I did set foot in Nebraska. Even by John's qualifications, I was there.
Today, we left Nebraska and drove across the entire state to Wyoming. Let's just say that I feel like I've seen all that I need to see in Nebraska. We did have nasty weather-- including pouring rain, tornado watches, etc., but made it through in one piece. My Dad and I are switching off driving in shifts, and it's worked out nicely! The UHaul handles quite well, and we've been able to go close to the speed limit the whole way, making good time. And I'm so glad that, during our South Africa trip, I got used to reading and doing things in the car, which always used to make me sick. On this trip, I've already finished Another Day in the Frontal Lobe, written by Katrina Firlik, a neurosurgeon, about her training and job (thanks, Rachel, for the book recommendation!), done several Sudoku, and caught up on some AAFP, Minnesota Medicine, and The Lutheran magazines that had piled up during my time away. I am not bored at all!
Wyoming Wind Farm
Snow-capped peak! Scenery in WY has been MUCH nicer.

So this brings us to Rawlins. We even crossed a time zone today into Mountain Time, which let us gain an hour despite driving for about 11 today. Tomorrow, we plan to make it to Salt Lake City by lunchtime or so and spend some time exploring that city, which I hear is gorgeous! We will either make it to Sacramento the night after that, or the following morning (I'm trying to talk my Dad into a swing to/through Tahoe on the way, which is just south of Reno, the main city on Hwy 80). I'm already loving the west! California, here we come.
3 comments:
So hey .... what did you think of Cracker Barrel. What did you have?
I am assuming by John's qualifications for state visiting you .... ewwwwww ....
Yay! Welcome to the WEST! (Since we're in California right now I feel like I can say that.) Sounds like you guys are making great time and enjoying your road trip. I was very impressed with the Super 8 free wireless as well! Wagons, Ho!
Hmm. I should have gone with the pancakes or something but was trying to be "healthy" and got some assortment of "country vegetables." The dumplins (yes, "dumplins," not dumplings!) were good though. Next time (I'd definitely go back!), there will be a better food choice.
And YAY west! I'm a big fan :) Les, have fun even farther westward in Hawaii :)
Post a Comment