Friday, December 8, 2006

Last day in Cali :(

Today was my last day in California before flying back to the frigid midwest. So sad. It has been such a fun week and has gone by way too quickly! I started the day off by sleeping in until about 8:30 (quite unheard of for me!). I was being SOOOO lazy but hey, that's what vacation is for, isn't it? I got my act together and booked some travel arrangements (rental cars) for my next week of travel, i.e. from Madison and then for Denver, where I will be going Thursday. I checked the weather and it was going to be a bit less nice here than it has been (i.e. only 60 instead of 65 and a bit rainy later on); however, it was fairly nice in the morning, so I went for a run and got onto this trail that Erin and TJ recommended. It was really nice-- about a 4-mile loop through some hilly parts of land owned by Stanford that overlooked Palo Alto (you could even see the bay). Since I was running, I didn't have my camera to take pics of either the scenery or the cute figures made of bales of hay that marked the park's entrance, but it sure was pretty :)

I then visited the local mall to try to get some last-minute Christmas shopping done and to buy some stationery. The mall by Palo Alto is a bit uppity-- i.e reminiscent of Tysons 2 in McLean, but very nice. I did stop by in the Discovery Channel store, one of my favorites. Then I drove around trying to find this coffee shop that Erin and TJ like, Cafe Borrone or something, but never found it.

This evening, Erin, TJ, and I went to "Chemwipes," this production put on by the first-year chemistry grad students (there are 40-50 in the first year class) that basically ridicules themselves, the faculty, etc. They had both live skits and video (a la Geske) done. Although there were many inside jokes that I didn't quite get (nor did Erin), the whole thing was still absolutely hilarious. It did remind me how nerdy we really are. Here's one joke for the evening to maybe get you laughing (if you're a chem nerd like us):

A proton walked into a bar and said "I've lost an electron!" The bartender said, "Are you positive?" Ha ha. There was much funnier stuff going on but I guess you had to be there :)

Here are TJ, Ken, and Christian in the lab pre-show (don't ask me why only Ken is looking at the camera)


Mads, Erin, TJ, and me in the auditorium during intermission of the production
Ken being a drama queen (he really was the star of the show!)

I am really going to miss Erin and TJ!!! Particular things I loved about being here:

  • How laid back they are. We did really fun things together, i.e. hike around the Bay, go out to dinner, attend this Chemwipes thing, but then just kicked it and relaxed at home at other times. I've certainly realized that travel is WAY more enjoyable when you are with people you love. It's not so much doing things but just being with people that rocks my world.
  • Seeing Erin and TJ interact as a couple. I hadn't spent all that much time with the two of them prior to coming out here. But they are so, so great together. They get along so well, and I love how well their relationship works! I can't wait to go to their wedding in May.
  • How I never felt like I was intruding. I had my own key and could come/go as I pleased. I also knew that I wasn't an inconvenience, because EVB (and TJ) would just go to bed if they were tired and didn't have to worry about entertaining me!
  • THAT ERIN ALSO DRINKS HOT WATER!!! We are hot-water homies. I loved how I didn't feel weird for doing this. :)

Tia comes in on Monday to interview out here and take my place, so it'll be good they have more visitors. They are such great hosts!

So the plan for the next week is:

  • Saturday: fly to Chicago to stay with Eric
  • Sunday: find my way to my overpriced Marriott hotel in Chicago
  • Monday: take Step2 CS; then bus it to Madison to stay with Felix
  • Tuesday: dinner w/ Madison FM residents and overnight with a resident host
  • Wednesday: interview at Madison; drive back to MN
  • Thursday: fly to Denver to stay with CC!
  • Friday: Interivew at St. Joseph's in Denver
  • That weekend: COLORADO FUN!!!!!

I have posted my interview schedule as a quick link on the side, since I know it's hard to keep track :) Hope this keeps you all updated!


2 comments:

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

Tara, LOVE following what you are doing. This is great. Wish it was on my blog, but heck, we can't have everything want.

One nugge to share with you. I am much older than you so I feel I have this ability. I have learned that there are times, when you can't help the money you are spending, and you need to not think of it. There is a nice restaurant in this Marriott you are staying in. Kick back, go to dinner, and don't think about how much you are spending. It's really nothing in the grand "medical school" of it all ...

And the hotel doesn't even have the cheap bedspreads that normal hotels have! I thought that was toally worth the extra $50!

TAV said...

Okay, you're right. The bedspread is nice. And I could sleep sideways and still fit in the bed. That is nice.