Monday, July 12, 2021

Kids play when the parents are away

When Kelvin and I were gone for our four days in Albuquerque, we got frequent photo-text updates from K's mom. 

The kids did quite well in our absence, although Iver again demonstrated some moderate separation anxiety, particularly near bedtime.  

They had LOTS of cousin time.

"Art class"


Card games

Iver taught Angel (8) chess.

There was a lot more ice cream than this mom would ever allow.






They definitely did not go hungry, as the way my MIL showers love is with serving food; she follows kids around with food and snacks constantly! 


Trip to Huntington Beach Library Gardens.









The boys had a sleepover with Co Kat and made banana bread. 





Only Niall, who sleeps "in a starfish formation" slept well in the shared bed! 

Outdoor play







Iver made us a sweet sign for our return. 


Kelvin and I are way more strict with snacks and screen time than is his family (Niall [who doesn't watch any TV or shows at home] told us that he got to watch Peppa Pig while we were gone and probably preferred our short-term absence!), but I know that my in-laws adore my children and know that it's important for me to be able to let go and not try to micromanage diets and activities when they're doing us such a huge favor in child-watching (my kids were on "vacation" too, and of course grandparents are supposed to be the ones to spoil their grandchildren, right?). 

My kids would still choose a book on a parent's lap or the treat of room-sharing with a parent on "vacation" over ice cream any night, which makes me feel like I’m doing something right (I think they're truly happy we're back).

No comments: