There's a reason that all humans need breaks from work, no matter how dedicated we are to our craft, patients, etc. We need to be free to sign out of our never-ending inboxes, stop worrying about or feeling responsible about patients, and disengage from our phone, which is a reminder that we have to be available at a moment's notice every fourth day. We need to remember that we are humans first (and loving parents or family members second), and workers (doctors) third. Some people have studied the boost in happiness that happens anticipating a vacation (often times which is greater than the boost during the vacation itself!). I get that that boost exists, but ending a trip with a full cup also has a "tail" effect on future well-being.
This was such an important extended (two-week) break for me to refill my incredibly emptied cup from the last year-plus (YOU CAN'T POUR FROM AN EMPTY CUP). Kelvin and I got a few-day much-needed break from medicine and parenting, both of which deplete my reserves in a big way, and were able to scratch our travel itch. But even when we were back at his parents' compact home with our kids, we truly got restorative time and rest (I realize that I enjoy parenting a lot more, even while traveling [which can be difficult] when I don't have the stressors of work following me around like a heavy backpack). Even with all the outside time, family time, and sightseeing, I read five books, put away my phone, stared at the ocean, snuggled in bed with my kids and don't feel bone-tired anymore (my need for coffee also went way down!)!
My kids actually behaved really well during this trip (especially Iver, who tends to be a bit more challenging in temperament), as I think they also had their cups refilled by all the family play time, exercise, and time in the sunshine. They slept really well, and even slept in past 6 a.m. (some days). Besides requesting snacks every 15 minutes, there wasn't much whining and nearly no meltdowns nor power struggles. I totally buy into what many parenting experts suggest as the most effective approach to get kids to listen and comply, which is not threat- or consequence-based, but rather relationship-based (when kids feel safe, listened to, happy, and loved, they naturally want to please you and make good choices). I saw this before my very eyes this trip. My kids can't wait to come back to see their grandparents and similarly-aged little cousins. They told me that they prefer seeing their family to spending time with friends back home so it was absolutely a good call to travel down here despite all the COVID-unknowns and small risks.
R&R
Best Auntie


















No comments:
Post a Comment