Saturday, April 13, 2019

Animals on the loose


It's been a bit strange around these Humboldt parts lately. While we are in a rural area of northern California and deer (and roadkill rodents, like raccoons, skunks and possums are common), most people are not farm- or farm-animal owners. Nevertheless, it's not uncommon for people (even in our subdivision) to have outdoor pets, including chickens, sheep, goats, and horses.

Neighborhood deer





Last week, I read about a local pet pig, Princess, who got loose in Arcata and, when found and then temporarily held in a neighbor's house as per the police department, was slaughtered by the neighbor's tenant!  What a strange (and sad for Princess' owners) story.

Then last weekend, I was taking Niall for a walk in the stroller, when I looked up to see a horse galloping down the street toward us. We stepped out of the way and I caught one photo, of his rear as he retreated, but was pretty shocked.

 

We know the house where (we thought) this horse lived, but, not knowing really what to do/how to react and how one catches a loose horse, we just continued on our walk. Luckily, soon thereafter, we saw what was the horse's owner was walking around the neighborhood wondering if anyone had seen his horse (yes), and told me that this was the second time that day that the horse had jumped his fence. I pointed him in the direction I saw the horse go, but I still wondered how in the heck he was going to catch a galloping horse on foot. (Update: horse is back in his yard, so apparently the search was successful. But the fence is the same height).

When walking Pepper, Kelvin also saw someone walking a sheep on a leash (while his dog accompanied them, off-leash). Strange animals, strange times. Better keep 'em contained!


No comments: