Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Yosemite in spring!!! (Laura and Tony visit CA!!)

So I hope there are enough pics in this post to make up from the lack-o-words on the blog lately. It's mainly because I was so busy spending time with my awesome friends who came to visit from NC for 5 1/2 WHOLE DAYS!!! :) Thanks to Laura for sharing these pics from her camera, as she was the designated photographer on the trip.



Laura and Tony arrived Thursday night and, as I still had to work an OB night shift, Shomir shuttled them back from the airport. Friday, they had fun exploring midtown and Capitol Park while I slept for a couple of hours and then we enjoyed some catch-up time at Tower Cafe, Old Town Sac, and back at my place, where Alvin, his friend Tony, and Amy joined us four for Time's Up!

Look who's armless!Old Sac




Saturday, it was onwards to the great park Yosemite, which is breathless in the springtime, too (last time I was there was back in July hiking Half-Dome). It was Tony's very first time there!


Hiking to Upper Yosemite Falls






(that's Half-Dome in the distance)

We didn't plan the red, really!

Being pensive
Crazy Tony being goofy



real snow on the ground!
Near Bridalveil



hard-core rock climbers It was chilly!!!
Comfy tree for sitting

We stayed overnight at a cheap inn in Oakhurst, outside the park's south entrance, and had some good bbq (even better ice cream pictured below-- can you believe that this whole dish cost only $2?!?!) :)
Sunday, we headed back in for some more hiking and snow-frolicking, as you can see!
Check out the snowy forests!
Vista point

Hiking in Tuolumne Grove

(had to show them the giant sequoias!)

Tony, making not a snow-angel but a snow-chicken


On our way out of the park, we stopped to visit in Groveland with Laura's great Aunt and uncle, Wanda and Jean, who treated us to yummy Cobb salad and said we could stay there anytime we wanted to come to Yosemite! Tony will probably kill me if he reads this blog, but this is how he was entertained in the backseat during our drive back on Sun.!!
Sunday night: Kite Runner at the Arness theater made from a sheet and Shomir's projector. I managed to stay awake! Have to say that I wasn't that impressed with the movie.
I was impressed, however, with Laura's famous rum cake and the yummy pasta dish she made for us for dinner (wish she lived here to cook for me!!!)

While I had to start back at the Cardiac/ICU at the VA on Monday (blech), Laura and Tony visited with some relatives in Monterey and then, on Tues., hit San Fran. We hung out for some Idol at Phi's last night and then, this morning before going to the VA spa, I dropped L and T at the airport b/c they had to return to NC :( It was so great to have them here. Who will be the next visitor??! :)

9 comments:

Laura D said...

Wish I had time to load as many pix as you! I'll get mine up on Kodak Gallery soon. Tony told me it's time to go to bed (12:46am our time)... so I'm quitting. Thanks for taking care of us for so long. We had a great time!! mm ss mm ss :) Miss you!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I miss California. :) We had another snow storm here the other day, as Old Man Winter declared his unwillingness to go away. :) I love that you still wear that Thailand shirt. :) And I can't wait to see you!! Just a few more months!

Unknown said...

yosemite looks great! i agree laura's cooking was very nice treat! so when are u free this weekend and what are u doing?

Rachel and Hans said...

Great pictures Tara!

Did you and Laura purposely try to duplicate the poses from your side picture of Eno State Park 2007???


Hans

Laura D said...

Just happened to be reading the comments... Hans, you are very perceptive! How did you know that we were duplicating last summer's picture?! Ah... you doctors are so smart!

Wendi Kitsteiner said...

VERY very very jealous ...

Anonymous said...

How fun!

TAV said...

laura, your pics were awesome!
tony- too bad about that picture :)
lesley- can't wait to see you, too!
amy- wish you could have come w/. VA sucks!!!
hans- very perceptive. yes, that picture did come to mind.
jealous? come to cali!! :)

Rachel and Hans said...

once again, your trips look like SO much fun!! i can't wait until hans and i (or just me) can come to visit!!