I am not, in general, a resolution-maker. I know my "tendency," (strongly upholder in Gretchen Rubin's framework) and have a hard time not completing at all costs goals or "to-do" list items that I've set, at the expense of rest, peace, and grace. I have not quit much of anything in my life because I just tend to follow through and grit things out even though it may be stressful. However, this year, inspired by the idea of having more free time (not being in drowning/survival mode as I have been for most of the past two decades with residency and on-call work), along with some really excellent books (Ordinary Time, Ikigai, We Can Do Hard Things) and podcasts ("Happier" with Gretchen Rubin [author of The Happiness Project] and sister Elizabeth Craft, "Best of Both Worlds" with doctor Sarah Hart-Unger and cohost Laura Vanderkam [author of 168 hours] , as well as content from Kendra Adachi "The Lazy Genius"), I tentatively set out to craft/draft some "goals" for 2026 (interestingly, "Quitters' Day," the time by which many people abandon their recently-set resolutions, is/was January 9th this year, the second Friday of January). I still am trying to maintain a "non-ambitious" life-- focusing on cultivating relationships and love rather than any professional goals (which, as you'll see, are absent from this list!).
I think making SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound) is a good framework, but I didn't want to be too stringent with specifics. I also wanted to be sure to shoot high (knowing that I won't be able to accomplish everything at which I try, and which was extremely important for my perfectionistic personality); however, trying to shoot for 365 days and hitting 265 can still be positive and progress. Gretchen Rubin also has decided in 2026 to eliminate some tasks/things-she's-been-doing, a goal and concept which I love (quitting or releasing something can be a goal, too, especially if it's not serving you. I definitely have some [to quote Kendra Adachi] "big black trash bag energy" for decluttering!). Here's the list I came up with, organized into some categories.
Personal/fun/spiritual
- read at least ten books I will really love (4.5 - 5 stars)
- play recreational pickleball for fun and play in a tournament (*scheduled in a couple of weeks)
- incorporate scripture study into daily/weekly life
- attend a church or community event monthly
- read at least ten books I will really love (4.5 - 5 stars)
- play recreational pickleball for fun and play in a tournament (*scheduled in a couple of weeks)
- incorporate scripture study into daily/weekly life
- attend a church or community event monthly
- watch a new movie or TV series at least monthly
Relationships
- prioritize connection over perfection (especially with respect to order, tasks, time at home)
- make time for at least one weekly time for one-on-one connection time with Kelvin
- reach out to at least one friend weekly to connect or meet up in person
- recognize, celebrate important birthdays
- invite friends or family to share a meal at our house at least quarterly
Health
- swim at least once per week
- run at least once per week
- incorporate fasting into weekly life (may be intermittent fasting 8:16)
- train for (to complete seems too lofty?!) a marathon
- make my own health check-ups (annual, get my eyes checked)
- improve sleep hygiene (track with Oura ring, try CBT-I)
- eliminate alcohol unless for a celebratory event or occasion (it really messes with my sleep!)
- avoid checking phone messages unless at designated times/ and put phone to bed / consider gray-scale
Home
- Declutter and donate/give away things we have not used or worn in over two years (and, knowing our time, energy, and tendencies are unlikely to wear or read), spend at least 1 hour per week clearing stuff
- use things up! (no saving/hoarding freezer food or cosmetics for future, more deserving days or fear of future scarcity)
- Areas to focus on to declutter: office, my closet and jewelry (understanding that I am not likely ever to be someone who wears necklaces!), toys/kids' books, kids' clothes/shoes,
- label all closet and garage bins/boxes to know their contents and so as to not waste time rummaging
I may (or subtract) from this list in the coming days and weeks. In any case, with hope, late in 2026, I will have been able to reach some of my aspirations. We'll see how this goal-setting goes!
No comments:
Post a Comment