Our whole family has gotten into playing pickleball in the last year or so. We have had fun playing at local (mostly outdoor but sometimes indoor) spaces, as well as in our driveway.
Arcata Rec department put on a tournament this weekend and Iver wanted to enter in 3.0 (I honestly don't know much about rankings are generated) Mixed and Men's Doubles.
Saturday was the Mixed Doubles event, which included eight teams. We played a Round Robin stage and then moved on to bracket (elimination) play.
Iver and I (team name "Vulocity") started 0-2 but turned it around and finished Round Robin play 5-2, which bought us a two seed in bracket play.
We made it to the Championship, but lost a (best two out of three) match to Jay and Licia. Iver still feels like I was the weaker player, even though I held my own in a lot of the matches and tend to do well on serve. I still struggle with a lot of unforced errors when volleying at the net, as the strategy is a bit different than in tennis and I think my reaction time is on the slow side (I have a lot of tennis strike tendencies which don't serve me well with differently bouncing pickleballs).
On day 2, the competition included both Women's and Men's doubles.
Iver and Jonathan (the only kids I saw) teamed up as "IVJT."
The tournament went by more quickly, as there were only four teams (with cool names including "Dink Responsibly"), and they were 2-1 entering bracket play.
They made it to the Championship and played against a team (The Wizards) that they lost to 4-11 in Round Robin play...
... but they found a way to win (11-8, 11-7)! While I'm sure it was disappointing for the adults to lose to a couple of kids, I was proud of these youth (and I am, sadly, very used to the feeling!)! The kids took home a wooden medal and (too large) tourney shirt.
Until the next tournament!











.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment